1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Quicktime/autoexec.bat

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by randyrayd, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Win98-2, two related questions.
    1. I recently had to reinstall Acrobat Reader and although I'm generally careful about rights, QuickTime got set as default everything viewer. I have gone to Folders Options a thought I reset my preferred jpg viewer only to find QT still doing the job. I tried deleting QT but get a message about deleting QT system extentions can cause application to malfunction, so I opt to not uninstall everything, only QT. It's still there and still default. Originally tried uninstalling with Control Panel, then RegCleaner, the Norton SystemWorks. Same thing.

2. (And maybe related to the first). A couple of lines got inserted in my autoexec.bat string which I am assuming relate to QuickTime:
    SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

To get rid of these (I'll backup), would the best way be to just highlight and delete in sysedit. Would it be easier to run msconfig and just uncheck the unwanted lines in autoexec.bat and then if there was a problem, I could just go back and recheck the boxes?
    And would this perhaps help with problem 1?

I'm a novice and a little nervous, so your help is appreciated.

Randall

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

Or can just type rem and a space before each line in sysedit. After you restart see if the files are still associated with quicktime.

3. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna try the msconfig thing first and if everything goes okay for a few days then REMOVE. I'll then try to reset my defaults or remove the QuickTime AGAIN! It might not be today....busy...but I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
    Randall

4. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Thanks, jm100dm. I did it with msconfig. The lines in autoexec.bat now have "rem TShoot" (what's that? remove trouble shoot?) but don't load the jave batch that was associated with QT. After using control panel and reg cleaner and norton clean sweep, I got rid of anything associated with QuickTime. Man, that thing was deep. My jpg's open with the program I want them to!!! I can't even find any file associations relating to QT.

Thanks again. I'm learning but may put my 2 cents in occasionly or ask about a post. That's my learning process.

Randall

5. jm100dm

jm100dm

The lines in autoexec.bat now have "rem TShoot" (what's that? remove trouble shoot?)

Close enough. Rem was and is used in dos as short for remark. A programmer can makes any notes right in the program be starting each line with Rem and then a space. It took me a long time to figure out where tshoot came from. I kept seeing files with a t-shirt logo called *.tsh. I thought that my wife had downloaded a game called that. Great guess.

Glad that I could help. I've been helped here many a times and there is much to learn in these forums.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice