1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Quicktime Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Deke40, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I couldn't view some files on a site because I needed Quicktime. Decided to download it and decided it was taking up to much of my resourses and used the uninstall that came with it.

I did my usual checking in the registry after the uninstall and found a lot of leftovers which I didn't think was unusual and deleted them. Also deleted a lot of files on my C drive.

Went back to the same site and tried to open one of the files that played on my MP and it said I needed Quicktime and did I want it. I checked no and low and behold there it appeared on my system tray again. I went through registry again and had to delete all the junk again. Also deleted it from Msconfig.

Finally checked my MP formats and found MPEG's not unchecked by kind of greyed out. Unchecked it and rechecked it and finally could play these files on my MP.

Why is Quicktime so hard to get rid of?

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is a QT plugin in the plugins folder in the IE folder.

4. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Thanks. I will have a better look at the utility you mentioned. The only thing I can see that would worry me is the Classic Media Player, includedd in it, seems to be older than mine. Mine- 6.4.07.1124--Theirs-6.4.6.7.

5. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

I downloaded the Quicktime Alternative which I linked to above, but at least in my case there was no conflict with WMP (I use WMP9 as I'm running XP.)

Though of course if you're in any doubt don't risk it.

Originally saw it posted here :

http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index.php?showforum=24

6. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Thanks again.

7. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Finally the Quicktime activated again and I looked a little closer at the entry it was adding in Msconfig and noticed it was QTTASK.EXE. Did a search for that on my hardrive instead of just searching for Quicktime and lo and behold there it was.

No more problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!