1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Radeon 9200 - compatible upgrade = ?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlrm365, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

I have had an older Sempron 2800, an ASRock Motherboard and an ATI Radeon 9200.

Until recently, doing some demanding tasks, all was well. Indeed all is well, except when it comes to one crucial area (for me) - World of Warcraft.

I have played World of Warcraft for a few years now, on this PC, with no problems. Nothing has been deliberately changed recently, either.

Problem: I reach a certain point in the game area and, no matter what - and I am sure that I have tried all things (all new drivers, re-installs, tweaking configs, etc) - I always freeze.

Though I never suffered before these incidents, I have thought that it would be nice to have a bit better performance / graphics card.

What I found was the ever reliable Tom's Hardware:

Best Gaming Graphics Cards For The Money

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced software user, but don't have much of a clue about hardware.

What I have done is install "EVEREST Home Edition" and so have access to the info that might be needed.

It appears that the card is AGP, as you can see from the screenshot below.

As far as Tom's article goes, I am looking in the AGP section.

Best Gaming Graphics Cards For The Money: AGP Interface

As I may purchase a new PC / have one built, in a couple of months, I would like to pick between the two most affordable (to serve as a stop-gap):

• Radeon HD 2600 PRO (Best AGP Card for Under $100)
    • Radeon HD 2600 XT (Best AGP Card for $100)

Are they both compatible with my setup, because of being AGP, or is there something else that I need to look at?

Provided they are, I will be on e-bay pronto (or, living in London UK, head to my local computer fair tomorrow).

Of course they are both well-priced, but they'd be expensive coasters / door stoppers - if I were to miscalculate.

Everest >> Computer >> Summary (screenshot): HERE

Everest >> Motherboard >> Motherboard (screenshot): HERE

Everest >> Display >> Windows Video (screenshot): HERE

If more information is needed, holler. I usually have my messenger on and will respond asap.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

The advantage of buying from a retailer is that if it doesn't work then you can return or exchange it much easier then when using eBay or other auction sites.

I believe the cards call for a 400 watt power supply.

Other cards to consider are the Geforce 7800GS, Radeon 3650, Radeon 3850.

Do note that your system will limit the higher end AGP cards, and all these cards are several times better in performance then your current Radeon 9200 anyway.

4. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

I do have that power.

E-bay has given me little grief, so far. Otherwise, there are indeed several on-line retailers.

As I mentioned, the card would be a stop-gap, so high-end cards are not even a consideration.

Essentially, I just want to see if it is agreed that those two cards would be suitable.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Either should work, I wouldn't spend the extra for the XP version for your system/situation.

6. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

Neither would I.

Dell seems to be loading the 2400, into their low-end home models, so the 2600 ought to be better than a kick in the head.

Now the Radeon that I have seems to be an odd little card. It has a little ribbon coming off it, to the blue monitor fitting. Coming off the card itself, as in being part of the card, is a white port. This I can see from the back of the PC, but have never used it. I am not sure if I ever would.

Are there any good guides, preferably with illustrations / photos, to how to replace a graphics card and get all the right connections?

If you could link to one, that would be great.

Thanks.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

That connector on the ribbon is just an extra VGA plug for a second monitor.

The card will come with instructions on how to install it correctly.

Basically you uninstall the current ATI drivers and power off the computer, then you remove the old card which is held in by one, or in your case probably two screws because of the extra connector, then you insert the new card and screw it in. Reconnect the monitor, boot up the system, and install the drivers from the CD.

But be sure to read and follow the instructions that come with the card, it may also have a separate power connector that you need to connect but that will be mentioned in the instructions and you'll see the connector on the back of the card.

8. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

It was the ribbon that went to the primary port. It is the white port, part of the card, that I have never used / have no idea about.

Thanks for the steps. As you came up with those, I did what I ought to have first done and googled. I found this:
    How to: Install a graphics card

There also seem to be a lot of "how to" videos on youtube, so it ought to be fine.

There seem to be 512MB versions of the Radeon HD 2600 PRO, one from Saphire being a prime example. Would this setup be able to handle that? If not, what would be the maximum MB value that you'd put in?

My current card is/was 128 - so even another 128 (with better architecture) would be good... and anything more is a bonus.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

A 256MB card would be fine and more then adequate.

The blue one is the VGA port, the white one is the newer DVI interface which is used on some LCD panels.

10. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

Oh I know my minimums. I just wanted to know if 512 would work also.

Thanks for the info. I suppose this was never a hard thread, so I will mark it solved and be off to purchase a card tomorrow.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Yes, it'll work, the amount of memory on the card doesn't change anything from a compatibility point of view.

12. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

Great. I didn't want to "blow anything up", with an overpowered component. Having done some research now, I think that the 2600 will be just the ticket - until I obtain a whole new setup.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Nope, as long as you have the power supply to accommodate it then you'll be fine. Good Luck.

14. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

Well, that was solved. Thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745092