1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Radeon 9600XT - succesfully loaded device, can't find hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sy2, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

This began with a problem that I started a thread about here (http://forums.techguy.org/t369350.html), which I think may be a symptom the larger problem.

I went to Device Manager and I have the yellow "!" by my video card. When I double click it I'm told that "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)".

If I click troubleshoot then nothing happens. This problem just started and I'm thinking that I must have done something last night when I was doing routine maintenance. I downloaded the new Registry Mechanic (turns out I was using an old one) which found a lot of registry problems on my computer. I also got Ad-Aware SE Pro which found problems. I also installed Spyware Blaster and PC Anywhere last night (PC Anywhere was pretty much immediately uninstalled, though, cause I didn't like it).

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'm using the Omega drivers 2.6.25a and I have a System Restore point set up right before I fixed the Registry Mechanic problems. I'd like to not use that if possible, though, in order to avoid any other complications that might arise from restoring the computer to a previous point.

2. timothye

timothye

m8 i would go to www.ati.com and get the latest drivers 5.5 ..
    then i would hit windows update and let it run .. restart then come back and let us know . cheers ,.

3. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Okay, I uninstalled all of the Omega Drivers from the control panel, uninstalled the display adapter thing from device manager (there are actually 2, one just says secondary - which is normal, i think), rebooted, ran the ATI setup, made me reboot again, and the problem is still here.

I get the same error message, successfully loades the driver but cannot find the hardware. Before I installed the ATI drivers windows recognized New Hardware and wanted to search for drivers, which I cancelled, so it must be recognizing that the card is in there.

Can anyone think of anything?

EDIT: I've been scouring the internet and found a bunch of people who've had this problem with their CD/DVD drives. There is a solution for this in the Microsoft Knowledge Database, but it doesn't work for my problem and I can't seem to find anyone else who's experienced this error with their video card. :( :(

4. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Alright, tried a System Restore to early this morning before I "fixed" my registry. The computer rebooted and upon starting windows I got a message that my system could not be restored and no changes were made... what the heck is that all about??

What else can I do here?

5. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Another failed attempt. I went into Registry Mechanic, found a restore point that I made in there in before I first "fixed" the registry (at least I'm 90% sure that it was from before me "fixing" it), restored the registry, rebooted. Uninstalled the Radeon 9600 series display adapters from Device Manager, rebooted. Windows automatically found the hardware, reinstalled the Radeon drivers by itself and the problem still exists in Device Manager.

I am stumped......

6. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Booted to safe mode and scanned for viruses. Came up clean... sorry to keep posting and bumping this thread but I am out of ideas and I would hate for this new card to just be wasted...

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A Registry program that screws up your machine...just shocking.

Have you tried using Window's built in System Restore feature to revert to before this happened?

8. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Yes, I tried that but it said that it couldn't restore the system. I also used a restore point in the registry editor to restore the registry to before I "fixed" anything - still no luck so I'm actually beginning to think it may not be a registry problem.

I know that it restored the registry correctly because I ran the scan again and it came up with like 700 bad entries again, most of which actually looked legitimate. Each one that I checked out was a missing file that was referred to someone in the registry, oftentimes in a "most recently used/opened" list.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard do you have?

Also, download DriverCleaner(uninstall from Add/Remove Programs first) and run it to remove ALL ATI drivers and software. Then reboot and click NEXT several times and FINISH through the found new hardware wizard and reboot if requested. DO NOT CLICK CANCEL ON THE WIZARD.

Then run the ATI Catalyst 5.5 installation program.

10. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Everest says that its an Asus WMT-LE (mobo ID 04/25/2001-i850-WMT-LE)...

Proceeding to DriverCleaner now

11. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Alright, ran Driver Cleaner (including CAB Cleaner) in safe mode after Add/Removing from control panel. Rebooted, Windows recognized new hardware. I let it search the computer (did NOT let it connect to the internet) and it didn't find anything so I clicked finish and the little balloon popped up by the clock saying "Device not installed" or whatever.

Ran Catalyst setup, Express mode, rebooted, came back, same problem. "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

12. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

It just keeps getting worse.... I opened the computer to make sure that the video card was secure. It was so I closed it. Then I reboot and this stuff comes up on the first screen (it usually doesn't):

"Detecting Primary Master ... Maxtor 98196H8
    Detecting Primary Slave ... None
    Detecting Secondary Master ... Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103
    Detecting Secondary Slave ... ASUS CD-S400/A

Hardware monitor found an error. Enter power setup menu for details."

Then I can press F1 to continue or F2 to enter the setup.

If I continue nothing seems to be broken except for the video card still. That's the only thing with yellow "!"s in device manager. Does anyone have ANY ideas PLEASE??

13. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

I found this on another forum:

Can someone tell me how to check to see if my system has assigned an IRQ for the video card and to make sure that it's not conflicting with anything else?

EDIT: Apparently this guy had to reformat in order to fix the problem... I'm afraid I may have to also; hopefully just reinstalling windows will work. Again if anyone has ANY suggestions before I need to do this please post them. Thanks (y)

14. kingdude

kingdude

dude, your videocard if done. Who knows, you probably fried something on the board while accidentaly tinkering around with some static electricity. don't ever touch anything in your pc without using a electrostatic wristband or grounding yourself.

15. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Nope, just formatted and reinstalled XP and everything is fine now. I have no idea what happened but I found a guy on some other forum that had this problem months ago and this is what he had to do.

So, to the guy that runs across this in the future and finds himself here, reading these words and thinking "Oh !&%$, I have to do all that to fix this" ..... enjoy (y)

EDIT: On the plus side, my Windows is running lightning fast now; it's a pain to reinstall everything but this may have been a blessing in disguise :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice