1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Radeon IGP 320m adapter driver will not perm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joedakota, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

I have an HP ze4420us model notebook with Win XP home; after a new hard drive was replaced my device manager shows the display adapter Radeon IGP 320m not working. I went to the software folder (SWSETUP) and used update driver, after some file copying the display adapter yellow exclamation point goes away and it shows working but only for that session and upon reboot right back to the not working status; it seems the update driver approach out of the SWSETUP is not perming; any suggestions, many thanks.. joedakota

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The hard drive was replaced, so Windows XP Home was obviously reinstalled.

A reinstall of Windows usually doesn't install all the drivers for a computer's devices, so they need to be installed afterwards.

Here is the support and software site for the HP Pavilion ze4420us laptop.

The ATI driver for it is located here.

Download and save it, close all open windows first, double-click the saved file to install the driver, then restart.

According to the product specs section, that laptop has ATI Mobility Radeon (M6) 4x AGP graphics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

Thank you, Very interesting. Actually, the repair shop said they did not re-install XP home. They said they were able to clone my problem drive and then put it all on a new hard drive. When I booted it up at home all was there as before with all my software etc but the device manager shows the Radeon AGP 320 m under display adapter and it shows with the exclamation point (yellow) and says not working. I did go to the hp site and for that model downloaded the ATI control panel download but no luck; what do you think I should do next? Again, many thanks. Joe

4. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

Do you think the repair shop might have replaced the adapte to the AGP 320m and did not tell me and did not check the device manager after doing the drive work? thanks joe

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager, then click the + in Display Adapters.

Advise what the exact description is that's listed there.

Double-click that description to open its properties window, then click Driver(tab).

Advise what the driver version and driver date is.

If the display adapter description is indeed the ATI Radeon IGP 320M, the most current drivers for Windows XP appears to be

Version 6.14.10.6436, dated 05/15/2004

Version 6.14.10.6505, dated 11/30/2004

6. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

The exact description is: RADEON IGP 320M
    and the properties shows:
    6.14.10.6436 as the version and
    5/15/2004 as the driver date

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

Well, I have .6436 so how do I get .6505 and do you think that will work? sorry to bother you but you have been very helpful... joe

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The download link to 6.14.10.6505 doesn't work.

Read post #7.

10. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

ok, I will redo the .6436 again. I noted when I did that before, the update goes fine and the display adapter yellow exclamation point is gone and the properties shows "working properly" but it is on the reboot that the "not working" comes back; could it be something in the "registry" or some fall back that I do not understand as to why it goes back to "not working properly"?? joe

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no idea why it goes back to not working properly. You may need to make another trip to your computer shop.

I've always done a clean install of Windows XP after replacing a hard drive. I've never cloned one hard drive to another hard drive.

12. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

ok, thank you. I did the link and did the install of the latest ati driver but still no resolution. I will leave this open (unsolved) go back to the shop and see what I can learn and then post the results here, lest, someone else can benefit. You have been very helpful and I deeply appreciate your time and effort. Joedakota

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

Let us know if you get the problem resolved.

-------------------------------------------------------------

14. joedakota

joedakota Thread Starter

I took it back to the shop. They were very puzzled as to how the grapics adapter could be changed (detected) away from the original as noted in one of the posts here, that is from mobility to 320m. It is built into the board. So, they played with it but the driver change to .6436 will only take away the problem yellow ! (not working properly) in the session and upon reboot the problem comes back for them as well. Of course they went to the ATI downloads off the HP site et all and tried all that as well. They are stumpted. There final suggestion was a complete CD restore (which will mean wipe of data and programs, some of which I can not locate the cd's for install) Anyone with final comments before I give up and use the CD for restoration? Thanks Joe

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice