1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: radical disc recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bimfi, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bimfi

bimfi Thread Starter

I have this WD Caviar HDD that died about a year and a half ago. It is a 200 gig WD2000JB drive. I thought about sending it out to be recovered (lots of music and document files) but that was WAY too expensive. So, I just set it on the shelf.

Now, I'm thinking about trying to recover the files again. This was a physical deterioration of the internal working inside (audible clicking and not booting). I once thought I really needed these files, but after a few years without, maybe not.

Anyway, I came across an old ( like 8 years old) WD Caviar 30 gig WD300AA drive and was wondering if I carefully removed covers, could I at least replace either the platters or swap heads, depending on which mechanism isn't working. Although I've never attempted anything like this before, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:rolleyes:

If anyone has attempted this sort of thing, do the drives have to be of the same type and size? This is not going to be a permanent replacement, just a temporary fix to gather the info and copy it to my good drive.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    some people have been able to recover data by freezing the drive and then plugging into PC and copying the files across - clearly you need to put the drive in a bag and make sure it does get wet

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello bimfi,

One spec of dust can kill a hard drive. They are put together and sealed in super clean environments with crazy tolerances. We can't mess around inside a hard drive and expect it to work ever again. Your only real hope other than the prohibitively expensive route is to use recuva or some other recovery software. As it is making noises and such it is doubtful that recovery software will work. BTW, I am pretty sure etaf meant "does not get wet".

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    opps YEP thanks juju68

5. bimfi

bimfi Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. I did the freeze trick last year. Didn't work. I understand about the dust and tolerances. But, the info is just about lost anyway. If I screw up, what did I lose? Data I couldn't get before. I am going to attempt this. Just when and how is the question. I am going to research this thing a little further before the "surgery". Will keep you informed as to the results.

6. bimfi

bimfi Thread Starter

You were right. I decided after opening the cover, that there would be nothing I could do for it. So I did exploratory surgery and tossed it out. I did happen to extract the cool super strong magnets, though. Oh well. I guess next time I'll be more cognizant of the sounds coming from my hard drives.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

We all do that; open the cover and think OMG, those read heads really look delicate...and they are. Its amazing the darn thing works as well as it does, most of the time.

BTW, platters are thicker now due to perpendicular storage, though you may have had two pre-perp drives, but even if you have the hands of a brain surgeon and got the platters changed without destroying the read/write arm settings it still would not have worked because the printed curcuit board would have been different. They have to be exactly the same. That's all part of why physical recovery is prohibitively expensive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice