Solved: RAID boot issues - disappearing disk - RAID question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rwtechmonkey

Yesterday I woke up to find my computer had bluescreened overnight. scsiport.sys was in the bsod message, and the stop error code was 7a.

---------------

0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

* Windows NT 4.0 Setup Troubleshooting Guide {KB 126690} NT 4 (Recommendations for the current error message are buried down inside this article, which isn’t necessarily limited to NT 4.)
* Connecting a Hard Disk Drive in Slave Only Mode Leads to System Halt During Resume From Standby {KB 330100} Win XP SP1 (Windows installed on a slave drive.)
* BIOS Manufacturers Should Not Clear the IDE Decode Enable Bit in _STM ACPI Method {KB 913379} Win 2000, Win XP, Server 2003, Vista

via: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

--------------------

The system has preformed fairly flawlessly up to this, save for a CPU fan error which I may have caused in testing (note to self: never detach a system fan while the computer is running JUST to see if the fan readout/warning system works....) and bluescreens a while back because I had both DVD drives set to cable select.

I rebooted several times and the system did not find a bootable drive - it would just hang at the cursor that displays before the XP splash screen appears. Once, my raid utility reported my RAID 0 failed. I have two Seagate 320GB 7200RPM drives in RAID 0 and a 500 as a standalone drive I use for backup. My board is an ASUS M2V

FULL SPECS:
SilverStone Temjim TJ6 case
ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz
Zalman Heatsink
G.SKILL 2GB x 2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
SAPPHIRE Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2
RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive x 2
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
2 x SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R LightScribe Black IDE
750w Powertek PSU
OPTI-UPS Voltage Stabilizer
SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20in 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD
SAMSUNG 920NW Black 19in 5ms VG
XP Pro SP3

The 320GB drives are in SATA ports 1 & 2, and the 500GB is in the port labeled as RAID 1 (there are only 3 available SATA ports). The 640GB array is partitioned into a 100GB windows parition, and a 460GB storage partition with some unallocated space on the disk.

Finally, it booted to windows and I began to verify my data had been backed up, which was not the case. (I use NovaBackup as an automated solution.) So, I began to manually backup and the BSOD appeared again. I rebooted and it once again hung on the cursor before the XP splash. Rebooted several times and it finally went back to windows... same BSOD after about 3-5 minutes. Rebooted several times, no go.

I booted to a live ubuntu CD and received error: ata1: port failed to respond along with a slew of other errors. I rebooted and it went to linux - no hard disks were found.

I disconnected the disk drives, booted, shutdown, reconnected and booted again - same error. Reseated RAM (whynot) - same error.

Long story short - after no less than 30 reboots, XP finally booted stably and I backed up my data. The system has not had the same issue since, yet I would not be surprised if it happens again.

However, Last time I booted, the 500GB disk had disappeared. It was not in My Computer or Disk Manager. Rebooted, and it was available.

I am just looking for some information and advise on this issue. My diagnosis is a failing raid controller on the board, or a failing disk. I've listened closely to the drives, and there is no audible sign of failure. Perhaps I'm using the RAID1 SATA port incorrectly.

I'm looking for a disk utility to verify the integrity of the disks.

----

Also, I have a question about drives in RAID 0 -- if I were to detach my RAID 0 drives, insert new drives, and change the raid configuration.... would it be possible to reinstall the old drives, change the raid config back to RAID 0, and boot from the drives, or would the RAID need to be rebuilt/reformatted. I've wanted to try that just as a test, but haven't had the time if it fails.

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Attachments

crjdriver

The very first thing I would do would be to download the seagate diagnostic. Run that on your drives and see if they pass the full test.

BTW the seagtools app runs from bootable media ie CD or floppy. No need for an os to even be installed.

rwtechmonkey

I ran seatools and received this:
Detected 2 devices
No Hard Drives found

Could this be because my RAID controller loaded before Seatools booted?

When windows was booting after the disc tools, i received a BSOD, STOP error: C5

0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
An attempt occurred to touch invalid memory at a process IRQL that is too high. This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

---------

Well, I'm going to update my drivers and see what happens.

crjdriver

You did run the seatools that runs on its own and not a windows one correct?

Next are these drives detected in the raid bios?

Is this onboard raid or are you using a real raid card like a promise, highpoint, etc?

rwtechmonkey

Yes, I did use the bootable CD - the two drives that are in RAID 0 are detected in RAID BIOS (though the third drive, the 500, is not listed) - my RAID is onboard, I do not have a separate card.

In my BIOS (not the raid bios) my hard disk drives are listed as:
1st drive: RAID: VIA RAID 0
2nd drive: IDE: S0: ST3500630A

I think its interesting that it calls the second drive IDE.

Also, my BIOS only lists SATA 1 and SATA 2 on the main screen (where all disk drives are listed). Both are listed as NOT DETECTED. However, there are three SATA ports on the board.

crjdriver

If the drives are detected, then seatools should run. If it does not have via raid support, then it [seatools] would not detect the drives.

At this point, here is what I would do.
1 Make sure anything you need on the raid array is backed up.
2 Restart and enter the raid bios. Reset the drives to non-raid or delete the array. Each controller calls this something different.
3 With the drives set as separate drives, restart the system and set the sata controller mode to standard ide.
4 Boot with the seatools app and test each drive.
5 If the drives both pass ALL tests, then you can attempt to recreate the raid array and install windows.

FWIW I would not be wasting time with a via onboard type raid controller. Via chipset boards are pretty cheap to begin with AND onboard raid is problematic at best. If you really really want raid, I would buy a quality raid card like a promise or highpoint raid controller.

rwtechmonkey

Same issue occurred again today and I think I found the problem,but I'm not sure--only time will tell.

I broke the raid, ran seatools on all disks, no issues found. I called ASUS and their tech guy didn't know any more than I did about the problem, nor did he have any good troubleshooting tips.

In researching the issue, i found that the 2 onboard SATA ports I'm using for RAID are not SATA II ports. I've set the limiters on the two drives I have in RAID 0 to 1.5GBps, reinstalled windows, and have had no issues. If this doesn't resolve the issue, I can only conclude the onboard VIA RAID is flaking out.

If this turns out to be a jumper setting conflict, I'm going to wig out.

Marking this one solved, thanks for all the help!

Rickey

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online