1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: raid compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blittzin, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi and thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm building a new rig with a gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 motherboard it's sata 6.0 compatible. I'm going to use a 6.0 velociraptor 10,000 rpm. Can I use a 3.0 sata 7200 rpm for my storage? I just want to make sure I get the right hard drive. I've read alot of posts but I'm not sure if cache, rpm, and 3.0gb or 6.0 matter in choosing a storage drive for everything except my os and games. I want to make sure it works right. I'm sorry to post another raid question. But I hope it's one somebody here can answer and it not annoy them or take much time. Thanks again.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not understanding. The title of your thread refers to raid however you do not say you intend to raid these disks together. You ask about a system drive and a data drive.

If you just intend to use the raptor for the system and apps then use the other drive for storage, etc, that will work fine. I would NOT set the sata controller mode to raid. I would set it to ahci mode; rather than raid.

If you intend to raid these drives together, combining drives of different size, speed, etc is asking for a problem.

3. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I basically just want the velociraptor for gaming performance. I read that it should be operating system and games only on the fast drive, and use the other drive as storage pics,videos,music etc. Based on the 150 gig velociraptor andy help or advice would be much appreciated. I've never striped data before. I'm familiar with the concept but need advice about what drive would be best along with the fast drive. I'm going to use sata 6.0 for both if that helps. My concern is rpm caches size, and drives having to be partitioned equally. Thank you again for helping me.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What you describe and the way its recommended involves no RAID or striping, you simply install both drives as simple and independent drives.

5. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

First thank you as well for your help. This is what I want to do. Install os and games only on the fast drive and use the other for storage. Motherboard supports new 6.0 sata the velociraptor is 6.0. It's going to be just a gaming rig only. What array would you suggest if any, and what are the storage drive requirements. I'm trying to gain performance while gaming. Thank you again I've read and I know raid posts are ad nauseum, but I just want to make sure I don't mess it up. Just the velociraptor and whichever hard drive will be compatible as storage. Thank you again I know this post is redundant. But it's really helped me.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    None, no array at all. To run RAID you need two or more identical drives. You are trying to make this way more complicated then it needs to be. Simply install both drives and do NOT set up any RAID. Use the VelociRaptor for the operating system, programs & games. Then use the other hard drive for storing your data; documents, pictures, movies, music, etc. OR if you won't use more the 300GB then you don't even need the second drive at all and you can store everything on the first and only drive.

7. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Thanks. I think a 150 gig velociraptor will work 65 gigs for the OS, AND on my regular pc I only use a little over 100 gigs out of the 500 gig hd I have now. So I can safely buy the 150 gig and have plenty of room. Thank you sir, and have a merry X-mas.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem, have a merry X-Mas as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice