1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Raid drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paynesmanor, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor Thread Starter

I have a old P3 490Mhz. Its a old system that I use to experiment, I found three older Hard drives, Two 1.5GHZ Maxtor drives, and one 540MB Caviar 2540.

I heard that I can combine drives to make windows see them as one drive. I would like to try this. However when I search Raid drivers, the list is soooo extensive, I don't know where to begin....

I have a copy of every operating system, (except Vista, and windows 2000.). I would like to put XP Pro on it..

What I do know,

When installing windows it says to press F6 if you need to install a Raid driver..
    The Raid drivers would have to be on a 3.5 floppy.

What I think I need to know.
    What version of Raid driver would I need?
    What Jumper settings to use?

What can I expect?
    Do I need to know a command to run the programs after pressing F6?

Can I install all three drives?

Links to the drivers, and a Good walkthrough would be nice!
    Thanks in advance.
    Thomas 73'

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Unless you have a RAID controller (special hardware designed for RAID), you cannot run a RAID array. The chances your computer has this hardware are about zero.

3. Paynesmanor

How could I find out?

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

See if the manufacturer has any documentation on their web site. My advice, though, is that you are wasting your time.

Consumer grade systems aren't built with RAID controllers. A good RAID controller is priced starting about half the cost of a decent motherboard so to include that in a consumer-grade system would knock the manufacturer out of the consumer market.

RAID comes in high-end (read: expensive) and server systems.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it is possible to do what you want, I agree with Alex that you are wasting your time. You can do this without a raid controller. Here is how. Install xp on one of the 1.5gig drives [note this is the absoulte min disk that can be used for this task] next convert the disk to dynamic and then span it across the other two volumes. Note the other disks will need to be dynamic as well to do this task. You would end up with the os seeing a single drive of about 3.3gig or so.

Again this is a waste of time however it could be done in the manner I described above.

6. Paynesmanor

Kool.. Thanks for the info. There is always a reason to do anything,, Knowledge gained!! I would assume this would work for larger disks as well?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice