Solved: Raid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

000Hedgehog000

Hi

I have two Western Digital Velociraptor Hard Drives, one 300GB and the other 150GB both 10K RPM. Can I use this two drives in RAID even if one is 300 GB and the other 150GB ?? Thanks

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You can, but you'll limit the usable size to the size of smaller of the two drives so you'd lose 150GB of usable capacity; 150GB total for RAID-1, or 300GB total for RAID-0.

jiml8

Ummm...

OP didn't specify operating system, and I confess to not being up on Windows RAID.

However, using the software RAID package provided with Linux, you can make specific partitions part of a RAID, while other partitions do not participate. This allows you to partition drives of different sizes and use same-size partitions on multiple drives for the RAID.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online