Solved: Ralink RT5390 WiFi Adapter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GarryB

I have an HP G62 Notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium.
When I found that I could not connect to the internet wirelessly I found that the WiFi and Bluetooth adapter has disappeared from the device list and the light on the wireless key had changed to orange.
I have tried rolling back to previous restore points without any change to the wireless connection.
This appeared to occur after a Windows update.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3834 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 290950 MB, Free - 207302 MB; D: Total - 13989 MB, Free - 1684 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 89 MB; G: Total - 953865 MB, Free - 329310 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 143B
Antivirus: Kaspersky PURE 2.0, Updated and Enabled

Any ideas, please?
GarryB

etaf

Wayne
do you have any ! or ? in device manager

does the PC work when connected to the router by Ethernet cable
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

how to access device manager for different windows versions
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
or
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
For windows Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

GarryB

Hi Etaf,
No there are noe ! or ? showing in device manager.
Yes the laptop work with ethernet cable connection to router.

Attachments

etaf

Wayne
theres no wireless adapter listed
Try reseating the wireless adapter

If the adapter is easily accessible, usually through a cover on the bottom of the laptop.
Remove and reinsert it carefully and firmly to make sure it is not loose.
Then remove and carefully and firmly replace it several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion.
At the same time check to make sure the antenna leads are securely attached.
Note: This is not taking the machine apart. We do not recommend removing the keyboard when that is necessary to find the wireless.

GarryB

Hi Etaf,
I have just tried removal and refitting of adapter as you suggested. Unfortunately it has not made any difference. The antenna connections are secure and the adapter seems secure.
Is there any way to check the funtionality of the adapter? Where can can I buy a replacement in the UK?

etaf

Wayne
wireless often does not work like this - but try anyway and post an ipconfig /all see below

- try safemode with networking
as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode with networking - see if that works

ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

GarryB

etaf,

These results from "ipconfig /all" were produced from the normal Windows mode (not safe mode), is that ok?
Have to leave now - catch up later.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GagasLaptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-FB-A6-AA-BD-85
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6467:ba95:a18:dcfe%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 June 2013 17:20:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 June 2013 17:20:13
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 194050982
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-C8-59-E9-90-FB-A6-AA-BD-85
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C8362337-2EB9-455C-BF63-882DE4165EC9}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{BD14625E-3647-4145-A63B-E85BD50BD16B}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 20:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:38bc:2702:a3e8:797b(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38bc:2702:a3e8:797b%26(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

TerryNet

Terry
Check in the BIOS (Setup) to see if the adapter(s) somehow became disabled there. (This check has paid off once or twice.)

GarryB

I have tried to investigate the BIOS settings. I cannot see anything in these settings that relates to the WiFi or Bluetooth adapter nor have I seen anthing like "timing control" nor "Motherboard Voltages". Am I looking in the right place do you think?

GarryB

I have attached a copy of my bootlog file "ntbtlog.txt". It does not mean a lot to me but there does seem to be a lot of drivers which have not been loaded. Do you think there is anything significant?

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Probably the wireless adapter is dead, but possibly the portion of the motherboard to which the adapter connects is defective.

GarryB

Hi,
I have attached two system information files. The first was generated back in February before I was experiencing the current problem. I have just generated the second file.
On searching the text files I found that Bluetooth has not been loaded in the second file whereas it was in the first file.
Could this give a clue to the WiFi/Bluetooth problems I am having?

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Could this give a clue to the WiFi/Bluetooth problems I am having?
Sure. The clue is that there is something wrong. So, take a look in Device Manager (or just look at your post # 3 attachment. If there is no evidence of the wireless or bluetooth there check in the BIOS to see if they somehow became disabled. Try reseating the card in case of looseness or corrosion.

If after doing the above you still find no evidence of wireless or bluetooth (except for the physical card you reseated) see post # 11.

I've been concentrating on the wireless. If the bluetooth is a separate card maybe it too can be found and reseated. I am not familiar with that at all. When the wireless in the Dell laptop I used to have became defective I eventually disabled it in the BIOS and the Bluetooth was still working so I know they were separate in that machine. Maybe you have a combined card?

GarryB

I have no idea how to check in the BIOS for the disabled components. When I get to the BIOS setup by pressing F10 at start up, I cannot find a way of examining that level of detail (see attached images).
I have reseated the card several times to no avail.
I have decided to order a new card, which is an HP 602992-001 REALINK RT3090BC4 WIFI & BLUETOOTH[/B] and hope to try that out in the next few days.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
I have no idea how to check in the BIOS for the disabled components.
Yes you do. :) You just look anywhere, as you have done, where they might possibly be.

All BIOSes are different and they have mostly become less and less useful over the years. If the wireless/bluetooth is supposed to show in yours I would expect it to be on the Main or System Configuration page (1st two attachments).

Let us know how you make out with the new card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online