1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ralink USB Wi-Fi password

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andybeedub, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andybeedub

andybeedub Thread Starter

Hi
    I posted this same thread yesterday but its dissappeared!

I have installed a Ralink USB into my PC with wwindows XP and all worked fine.
    However my partner recently secured the Netgear airport with a password.
    Now every time I turn on my PC I have to go to Config Utility, search for Wifi servers, choose Netgear and after typing in the password I am connected.

Questions are
    1) Can I save the password and get the system o do this each time to save on the process?
    2) Can i instruct the Ralink to ignore other wifi providers, which are nearby but I don't need?

Thanks for your help

Andy

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I dont know the specific software that that device uses, but there is normally some kind of option, often in the same place as the list of available access points, that should allow you to set one of the access points as the default.

Also, when you type the password in is there any option, tickbox or similar that allows you to save the password? It is not accessing your Netgear by default because it has no saved password for it.

The above maybe a profile setting also, you may need to setup a profile in the ralink software with that access point and all the connection details, then set that as your default profile for the ralink wifi.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

What is the exact model of the ralink USB wifi adaptor?

3. andybeedub

andybeedub Thread Starter

Hi
    Yes that's done it
    In the profiles box I entered my AP as you suggested and it seems to connect every time now. I wouldn't have thought that was the answer so much appreciated, one less annoying aspect to the day
    Very much appreciated
    All the best

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No problem, glad you got it sorted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!