1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM and Intel D865GBF/PERC MOBO Doing my head in!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Everway9, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hi all!. Have not been on here for a while. Hope all is good in PC land!

I have for some years now had my custom built lil beast of a PC and have some memory issues. My beast has the issues, NOT me, well, not normaly anyway. :D

Ok, it's not a Beast by todays standards but I still love it! As it's MINE! And I built it! :)

Got one of the those Dell Inspiron's now, quite a good machine. 15R-SE 7520 Base/i7-3612QM/8GB/Intel HD4000/ATI HD7730m/1TB HDD/Win7x64(Not so keen on trying Windows 8 yet). Very impressed with everything apart from maybe the HDD speed. Pretty awesome CPU+GPU(s).

Anyway..... My Beast!

MOBO - Intel D865GBF/PERC
    CPU - Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT Prescott
    GPU - ASUS Radeon 9800XT (AGP)
    PSU - Corsair VX550
    HDD's + Fans - Far too many!!!!

RAM - Now here's the issue...... The board has 2 channels for RAM, i.e 4 x DIMM slots. Looking at the board with the cpu at the top, the channels are on the right hand side of the board. From left to right they are marked... Channel A DIMM0, Channel A DIMM1, Channel B DIMM0 and Channel B DIMM1. To enable dual channel I need to install paird RAM modules in both DIMM0 slots and/or DIMM1 slots.

I have a few sticks of ddr333/400 from 256 to 1gb. Unfortunately only a few of them seem to work in my Beast! The board seems to be extremely inconsistently temperamental. Some sticks work all the time, some sometimes and some not at all, but mostly all of them work in other systems.

Here is an example of the problem. If I test, say.... 1 stick of ddr400 512 in dimm0 and the system boots then fine. If i remove that stick to test another stick of ddr400 512 in dimm0 and that fails then replace the one which tested ok before again in dimm0 the system fails. If I then boot the system with no RAM at all I get the expected 3 bios beeps and the system fails to boot. Then I put the 2nd stick of RAM (the one which failed) back into dimm0 the system boots fine. Or it could beep 3 times again or it could boot with no display and no beeps. Every time the system fails with a stick of RAM I know works I boot the system with no RAM to get the 3 beeps then power of and reinstall the known good stick and 95% of the time the system will boot fine. As you can understand, I have got to know my systems POST intimately. I can now tell what the systems going to do before I get any display on the screen due to the sounds each sata/ide device fan etc make at certain times. Eg, if the sound the dvd drive makes when it initialises is heard once the system will not boot if twice it will boot. Sad I know.

Anyway I have eliminated a few sticks of ram and have these left;

1 x 1g ddr400 double-sided
    1 x Matched pair 512mb ddr400 single-sided
    1 x 256mb ddr400 s-s

1 x 512mb ddr333 d-s
    1 x 512mb ddr333 s-s
    1 x Matched pair 256mb ddr333 s-s

So I now have some choices of RAM config for optimum system performance.

Do I use a 2gb config using the 1gb ddr 400 in channel a dimm0 and the 1 of the 512 400's in channel A's dimm1 and the other 512 400 in channel B's dimm1. This would not give me Dual Channel Mode, just Single channel mode @ 200 mhz

or

Do I use a 1.5gb config using my matched pairs of 256 333's and 512 400's. This would give me Dual Channel Mode @ 333mhz.

So to cut a long story short into a final question.

Whats better? 1.5gb of ddr333 in double channel mode or 2gb of ddr400 in single channel.

Sorry for the long post. The answer's probably easy but I sometimes have issues with my memory. It doesn't allways work very well :eek:

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew. :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Well I never!!!!! :D I am truly kicking my self now for not finding that info myself. I thought I'd seen all the available pages on the Intel site. Their site has had a makeover since I last visited a couple of years back which was when I last used 'The Beast' Anyway, no excuses for not looking again however that info was probably there then, somewhere. Obviously didn't look very well. I feel like a right prick now!!:mad:

Thanks flavallee. I'll enjoy reading all that and playing around with my, er ..... oh yeah... RAM. (y):)

I'll get back on here soon and post some results. Thanks again.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

This is a family-friendly forum, so watch your language. :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Oooop's. Sorry. What I meant to say was I feel like a brick just landed on my head. :rolleyes:

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can run the free NovaBench program to compare the speed of different ram combinations, amongst other things :- http://novabench.com/

7. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Thanks managed. P.S. Liiiiiiiverpool, Liiiverpool, Liiiiiiiverpool, Liiiverpool !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You missed one out, we scored 5 !

How's it going with the ram ?

9. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Liiiiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrrrrrrpoooooooool !!!!!!! LOL Good result!!

What about Bradford City eh? WOW... I would love to see them win the cup. Tough against Swansea though. I love Barcelona too and follow them every week. I watched their two legs against Malaga in the copa del rey. Both were excellent games to watch.

Any way, RAM, well I have not had much time to experiment with recently. Too busy watching football me thinks. Besides CAF has not been too entertaining... yet.

I have 1 x 1gb stick in the 'BEAST' for now and that just about manages to run 'ispy' camera software without the system crashing or melting... Its running pretty hot. I'm using speedfan to regulate the temp's but even with 2 case fans (big ones) avg cpu temp id appx 66 degrees c. managed to get it up to 80c without it melting yet. LOL!

10. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    OK I'm probably changing the subject of the thread here a little. But is anyone watching Burkina Faso v Ethiopia in the African cup of nations? This tournament is really starting to be more of a joke than a tournament. There are some very high quality players in the competition but its not being reflected in the quality of football. As for the refrees... well... ROFLMAO.

Sorry... I couldn't help myself. :)

11. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    I think I spoke too soon (with the exception of the referee bit).

Burkina Faso showed some nice, albeit unpressurized finishing!

I just noticed your signature managed! Top bloke that Mr. T. Pratchett.... "If the trees were human they would have shuffled their feet"! :D

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well, we tumbled out of the FA Cup. To be fair Oldham played well and deserved the win. We were poor.

Oh well, it's only a game.

Have you heard the famous Shankly quote (Shankly was LFC's manager many years ago) ?

When he was asked 'Is football really a matter of life and death in Liverpool' he replied 'Oh no, it's much more serious than that !' He was a one-off.

13. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Damit! Just spent 5 mins typing a reply. Used spell check and lost all I typed!!! I'll post a reply soon. Going to watch RSA v Mali pen shoot out in the CAN/CAF.

14. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Poor South Africa! Happy for Shabalababbabbbalalla. He will be going places he will! However shocking pens from the other pen takers! Mali deserve to be in the Semi's.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice