1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM capacity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmcsierra99, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i got a Compaq Presario 5155, with Windows 98SE, and 256MB RAM, theres another slot 4 another stick of RAM, but dont know how much the capacity is, i was going 2 stick another 128MB in there but didnt want 2 screw it up or whatever, would anybody know what the capacity is? thanks :) .

2. fleamailman

fleamailman

I don't know exactly either but what I do know is that if it fits it's OK, also the bigger one takes first place, ie as it is now. I believe there are two speeds and the comp will go a fast as the slower one, even if the total of RAM becomes the added number of both.

3. gmcsierra99

well i got 2 128MB sticks in there right now, i wanted 2 know if i could stick anohter 1 in there. and how does the the speed thing work? the chips speed?

4. fleamailman

fleamailman

I will google it for you but there are two types of ram, one faster than the other both are called by three letters, also as I said look at the teeth and the missing tooth tells you the type I college was also showing me that there is another type too where the teeth match but he the width doesn't so both width and teeth have to be a perfect match with the bigger amont of ram below.

5. gmcsierra99

ok, im kinda confused right now :confused: lol, this computers PC-100, im guessing, the chips that are in here look just like the 1's in my Dell, and that calls 4 PC-100 only. well i think 1 of the chips in here is 100MHZ, and the onther might be 133MHZ, somewhere around there not sure, is there a program thats downloadable?, 2 tell me what MHZ they are? so i dont have 2 shutdown and take the chips out.

6. fleamailman

fleamailman

7. fleamailman

fleamailman

8. gmcsierra99

ok, i downloaded Everest, under Memory Timings, it says @ 100MHZ, and @ 85MHZ, soo i guess 1's rated at 100MHZ, and 1 is rated at 85MHZ.

9. gmcsierra99

10. fleamailman

fleamailman

Thanks for sharing the info with me then and sorry that it wasn't my strong point but hope you are happy with your new configaration then.

11. gmcsierra99

ok, but what would you think that the max amount of RAM is 4 this computer? im thinking it might be 384, but it might be 512.

12. gmcsierra99

well earlyier i stuck anohter 128MB chip in, nd at startup, at the compaq screen it said, Memory Error, or something, soo i guess the max memory is 256MB.

13. fleamailman

fleamailman

Spoil me, download this, scan and post back the log in the quick reply here, it is a little free standalone program that I use when I want the basic details of a comp, anyway, hope it pleases:

system specs
    http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm

14. gmcsierra99

how do i do a scan?

15. SacsTC

SacsTC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/458819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice