1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ram compatability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lizzard4, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lizzard4

Lizzard4 Thread Starter

Hello

I have a samsung PC2100U-25330-A0; 256mb DDR PC2100 CL2.5 ram stick I took out of a Dell Pentium 4.
    I want to increase the total to 512mb.Can I install a samsung pc3200u-30331-z; 256mb DDR PC3200 CL3I
    I don't know the voltage or how to find it on the computer. Was wondering if the Ram Stick fit into the slot if it is ok to go by that method.

Thank you

Camille

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Are you keeping both sticks in? It isn't generally good to mix slower and faster RAM. It could slow things down dramatically.

3. Lizzard4

Lizzard4 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Cheeseball81!

I do have 2 of the faster sticks. I am running on just 1 or the slower sticks. I am not sure if the faster sticks are the same voltage or how to find out.

Thankyou

Camille

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What is the model of the Dell. I have a dell Dimension 3000, running 2 512Mb Sticks of PC3200 and it runs fine with it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Very often the req voltage is on a sticker on the ram chip itself.
    DDR ram defaults to 2.5V. Some mb have the ability to change vdimm [ram voltage] however if you have a dell, hp, or other big box system, that option is not available.

6. Lizzard4

Lizzard4 Thread Starter

Thank you all for the info. My machine is a Dell Dimension 2350; 1794 MHz.; RAM capacity 256MB
    I tried the PC3200 ram and the computer cycled on and off at about 2second intervals. Didn't make it to boot mode.

No harm done. Ididn't realize the computer was that old.

Once again thankyou for your time and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

I will mark this a s solved

Camille

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your computer can use a maximum of 1Gb ram (512mb max per socket) of either pc2700 or pc3200 ram. it is possible that the 2 sticks of pc3200 you tried (if now new) may not be any good.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!