1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ram disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chuckdawobbly, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckdawobbly

chuckdawobbly Thread Starter

I upgraded to win 7 (professional 32bit) and put in an extra gig of ram to go with it (giving me 3gb all up). All worked fine for a couple of months. Today i put in a radeon HD 4870 as my 9600gt really didn't cut it anymore with dx10/11 games. Now my ram has gone from 3gb to 2gb. I figured i may have unseated a stick by accident when i moved the computer to change the card.

I checked the bios and the bios said 3072mb physical memory, 2048mb usable. If i check the bios on bootup Windows will also report 3gb installed but 2 usable. If i don't it just reports 2gb physical memory installed in windows.

dxdiag reports the full 3gb but reports 1274mb on the video card, when it is only a 512mb card.

It almost seems like the ram is being shared or reserved for the gpu? I'm well confused but still thinking maybe check the ram is seated properly?

Any ideas?

I want to avoid going inside the case unless i need to and thought maybe someone had encountered this before.

I have gone into the msconfig boot tab and maximum memory is unchecked. Have also read some solutions through the bios but i'm not trying them unless i get specific advice to as i haven't a clue what i'm doing when in the bios.

Also one other thing. I didn't uninstall my nvidia drivers when i swapped out the nvidia card and windows has been reporting that as a driver failure all afternoon.

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Not uninstalling the NVidia drivers before installing the ATI ones can cause problems, first thing I would do is totally uninstall the ATI drivers and the NVidia drivers. Do this in Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 (normally) during boot and when you get the option select Safe Mode (dont bother with the Safe Mode with Networking option).

Once in Safe Mode uninstall the ATI and NVidia drivers. It is often recommended to use a driver cleaner program aswell but I cant for the life of me remember any at the moment, I have never had to use one personally.

Once the are all uninstalled, restart you PC back into normal windows and reinstall the ATI Drivers.

It does sound like you have some memory sharing setup in the BIOS, although I don't know why unless you have an integrated graphics card aswell (physically part of the motherboard). In which case, it may be worth disabling this card in the BIOS if you can.

It may be worth checking your RAM as you may have knocked it enough to loose a connection when you installed the 4870 card.

3. chuckdawobbly

Thanks for your response.

Successfully removed and reinstalled drivers. Also checked the ram and it seemed pretty tight in its slot, but now the bios is reporting only 2gb. I'm thinking possibly a problem with the slot so i might move the ram around tomorrow and see how that goes. Hopefully it isn't only showing 2gb because i fried a stick! I was earthed the whole time.

I remember when i put it in originally it had difficulty recognising the ram so it maybe did something when i clunked my rig upstairs to change the gpu

I'll post back tomorrow and hopefully mark this as solved

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Exactly what make and model or RAM are you using and what is the make and model of the PC (assuming its a big name brand like HP or Dell)? If its a self / custom build, what is the make, model and revision of the motherboard?

5. chuckdawobbly

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

7. chuckdawobbly

Cheers, i have run the memory diagnostic and it was fine. Computer is actually running fine just not recognising 1 stick of ram, although before it was recognising it but saying it was unusable. Gaming has taken a bit of a performance hit. I will do as you suggest re: taking the sticks out but that will have to wait til tomorrow as i'm in Australia and it is 1am.

One thing i was wondering was, will memory tests test the stick that isn't being recognised?

8. chuckdawobbly

Well it looks like maybe the slot had a problem. Possibly the clips weren't clipping the ram in properly or something like that and i bumped it loose or something.

Anyway i rearranged the ram and got my 3 gb back. Will just need to test the slot if i ever add more ram.

Thanks for your advice tech support guys, i'll mark this one as solved

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Glad you got it sorted, lets hope it stays that way

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!