1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] RAM installation help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leelei24, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leelei24

Leelei24 Thread Starter

Ok I have a HP 866 40gig HD and 128. I'm trying to install new RAm to update to 512. I have 2 slots for Ram. So i ordered 2-256 sticks. I don't know much about RAM so I went through Crucial.com when ordering. They cross reference parts with your PC model. When i tried installing Windows wouldnt boot up and I kept getting error messages, about missing or corrupted hardware. When I reinstalled my original 128 stick everything worked fine. So i know im Installing it correctly. Crucial reassures me this is the correct RAM. So please if you can help. What am i doing wrong?!

Leelei24

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

I'd say you got a bad chip. Try the 256's one at a time and see if you can find out which one is bad and send it back for replacement. If they both act strange, you probably have incompatible memory, or two bad chips

3. slipe

slipe

Download DocMemory and check the memory pre-boot. It puts the memory test on a floppy and runs the test before the computer boots – so it might tell you something.

Run the quick check. It seems to take forever. The thorough tests must be an overnight job.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

4. $teve

$teve

now then.........before you do anything,check this.
    if your o/s is 98,go to start/run/type"msconfig"(without quotes)go to advanced.
    and see what your windows ram limit is........in 98 its set as 256 default.
    just an idea.
    good luck.;)

5. $teve

$teve

oh...by the way,i forgot to add,you can set it to what you want.
    :D

6. Leelei24

Leelei24 Thread Starter

My O/s is windows ME. Can I still do this?

Leelei24

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Leelei24,

Welcome to TSG.....

Have you tested each new ram chip separately, as suggested by swwelsh?

8. kramnnim

kramnnim

I'm having similar problems. I just bought 2 256MB sticks of SD133. PC wont boot with them. Old memory was PC100. I'm trying to figure out if the Intel 810E chipset is the problem. Compaq, Crucial, and Centon say 133 will work, but a few sources say it doesnt. This might be your problem, do you know what chipset you have?

9. Rockn

Rockn

That would have nothing to do with not being able to even boot the PC...if that setting were 128 and the memory were good it would still run Windoze. I would check the BIOS settings to see if there is something in there you need to change as far a CAS, RAS or other memory settings. They are probably double density too which might need a setting change.

10. kramnnim

kramnnim

If what setting were 128? This is getting confusing.

11. Rockn

Rockn

SOrry, I was refrring to $teve's post a few up. I should have put 256 instead of 128.....

12. Leelei24

Leelei24 Thread Starter

I've checked each stick seperately. They both work fine seperately.

When together I get the following message: The following file is missing or corrupted. C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD Type the name of the Windows loader.
    C:>

I've talked to Crucial tech support they told me i might need to update my BIOS. I have read up on my lastest available BIOS downloads and it says nothing about memory. So I'm not sure how this would help. I've hears the BIOS is something you don't want to play with so I would like that to be my last option.

Leelei

Sorry so long between posts..Holidays

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This might be a silly question without looking at that model's specs, but does it support 512MB ram?

14. Leelei24

Leelei24 Thread Starter

Yes it does support 512.

Leelei

15. Leelei24

Leelei24 Thread Starter

I just want to thank everyone for all their help. After weeks of on and off discussions with HP, they decide my unit is defective. Something involving the motherboard. So it will be going back for repairs. Once again thanks :)

Leelei

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice