1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM issue? halp

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Urabe, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

okay i've had a few problems and i'm thinking it's all because something's wrong with RAM allocation or something.

1. I was on a minecraft server, gave me some sort of out of memory error and kept kicking me off.
    2. I was playing a game on steam, some game where you can cut levels and stuff, memory error, closed.
    3. Firefox, for some sites like facebook, it doesn't load completely, there'll be some blue linky text and no images. Going on clear recent memory actually sorts this for half an hour but it's a pain having to keep doing it.

I'm on windows 8, i'm not sure what other info i'll need to give but i'll post if asked.

Thank you.

2. gurutech

gurutech

Reboot your PC and start tapping the F8 key repeatedly as soon as your BIOS screen disappears. You should get a boot menu. One of the options is to run a memory diagnostics. Run that and let it finish. If it finds anything, then it should point you to the correct RAM module (the one with the problem). If it doesn't find anything, then you should check your Event Logs for anything that may indicate the problem.

3. raybro

raybro

Did your computer come preloaded with Win 8 or did you do an upgrade?

It would help us to help you if you would download and run the TSG System Info Utility. Copy the result and paste it into the body of a reply to this thread.

4. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

sorry i've been busy, i allocated half my RAM somewhere in control panel a few days ago, i'll give it a few more days and if the problem doesn't arise again i'll click the solved button, otherwise i'll do as suggested. Thank you.

5. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

Okay it's happened again, my laptop came with windows 8. Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 Processor Count: 8 RAM: 8083 Mb Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 928371 MB, Free - 492609 MB; Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., NP350E7C-S02UK Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

6. gurutech

gurutech

For starters, I would download a better anti-virus application and run a full scan on your system. Viruses can do many "weird" things to a computer. MS Security Essentials is free and fairly decent - it integrates nicely with Win8. AVG is another free anti-virus that runs well (this is the one I use).

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's included as part of Windows 8 and is known as Windows Defender.

8. raybro

raybro

I noticed in the TSG Info, Windows Defender is disabled. You should enable it and run a scan.

9. gurutech

gurutech

Didn't realize they had a different name for it depending on the OS... Thought Defender was an older version that was replaced by Security Essentials.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're right. Windows Defender in Vista and Windows 7 is pretty lame and should be replaced with a free download of MSE. Then, just to confuse us a little I guess, Microsoft stuck MSE into Windows 8 but call it Windows Defender. Grrrr.

11. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

So i ran a memory diagnostic and windows defender and neither found any problems. I checked sysinfo.exe and that says windows defender is still disabled even though i have it al turned on, could the fact i have zonealarm firewall installed perhaps be causing it to be disabled?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you just ran Windows Defender it is not disabled.

Windows 8 and TSG SysInfo are not communicating properly; it always reports Windows Defender disabled. If you can bring up the Windows Defender window or if the Windows Defender service is running you know it is working.

13. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

14. gurutech

gurutech

That happens to me every once in a while. Clearing history/cache and restarting the browser will clear it out. It's the cache that's corrupted.

15. Urabe

Urabe Thread Starter

that's what i've been doing, but it's a bit too frequent for my liking and rather annoying, is there a more permanent solution perhaps? my old laptop never did this, i have the 18.0.1 verson of firefox btw.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!