1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gregoryt2002, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregoryt2002

gregoryt2002 Thread Starter

I have 2.5gb of RAM installed in my PC but only 1.5gb is detected by the computer (both when it was running Xp and now its running Vista). However if you run a scan with a program like CPU-Z it identifies the RAM in all 4 sockets is 2.5gb.

Any ideas why the computer wont detect it but CPU-Z does?

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Hmmm...What is your PC specs? Is it an older system that possibly won't upgrade past 1.5 gig? Did you just recently upgrade your ram?

3. gregoryt2002

Yes it is a fairly old system so maybe the mother board cant cope with it. Yes I did recently update the RAM.
    Its a Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon 64 3200+

I find it strange that the RAM is detected by a program like CPU-Z by wont show up on the computer.

4. Compaq__

Compaq__

Before I upgrade my ram, I go here http://www.crucial.com/

Crucial can tell you exactly what ram is compatible with your system. Run your system through that wizard and make sure what you installed fits the specs they recommend.

5. gregoryt2002

I did initially scan my pc with Crucial to make sure I knew which RAM to buy.
    I have scanned it again today and it says I have two slots loaded with 512mb and two with 256mb.
    Im presuming that this means my PC cant handle more than 1.5gb?

6. Compaq__

Compaq__

7. gregoryt2002

8. Compaq__

Compaq__

I think CPU-Z is wrong. Windows and Crucial.com are most likely correct. If I were you, I would trust what Windows and Crucial.com are saying.

9. gregoryt2002

CPU-Z is right because thats how much RAM is in the computer. I've added another 1.5gb since I brought the computer. Its just windows and crucial dont detect the other 1gb. Very confusing :)

10. Compaq__

Compaq__

Make sure the RAM you installed fits what CRUCIAL says is compatible with your system.

11. gregoryt2002

Yeah I have becuase I checked with Crucial before I brought it.
    Oh well never mind.

Thanks for your help

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice