1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ram limitation ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mykidsdaddy, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

I have a question regarding the amount of RAM I can install. I have an HP Pavillion with an AMD Sempron LE-1200 2100MHz
    and I have 3Gb installed. One 2Gb and one 1Gb. Can I install two 4Gb? How do i know what the limitations are?
    Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

2. Irukku

Irukku

Happy new-year. :)

You got to see if your motherboard supports 4GB memory modules, and if your operating system is 32-bit, it will not see the additional 5GB, thus upgrading your RAM will be useless unless you plan on formatting and reinstalling everything you got.

Big headache, not much benefit.

Advice: if you don't actually see your RAM usage going beyond 2.5GB~ (you'd only see that happen if you have a large database running in your computer, several virtual machines, or some very serious software running :p) don't upgrade your RAM, 3GB is just good enough and will be for a fairly long time.

Edit: AH, two 4GB? I'm sorry I misread it. But my opinion stands. xD

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What is the Model number of your HP Pavilion? HP/Compaq computers frequently have a 4Gb Limit on the amount of ram that can be installed.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The site Crucial.com is very useful in determining how much Ram your hardware will physically support. Of course they then want you to buy said RAM from them, but you're under no obligation to do so.

As Irukku says a 32 bit OS won't reach 4GB, much less reach 8GB, and 64 bit will. Whether you want to make that change is your own decision.

It does sort of depend on what you actually need. For example adding more RAM won't help if the slow down factor is your processor always whirring away at 100%. But additional RAM may well help you, especially if you frequently find yourself waiting for the machine to "page" some the memory onto the hard disk.

5. mykidsdaddy

:rolleyes:I am sorry...I am running Win 7 64 Bit. My Model # is P6243W...and good luck with that! I look on thingd like the "Memory Configurator" (which SOUNDS bitchen) and Lo and Behold...MY model # is NOWHERE to be found:confused:!!! Imagine that!!! Thank you Wally World! It is probably a surplus computer mfg'd for Zimbabwai:eek:~ Whatever... I gave up on that the first week I owned this thing! Yep...you punch in the #, run down the list...and keep on going!!! Because...IT'S NOT THERE!!! lol!!! What can I say??? Honey bought it for me...she got it at the Black Friday sale at Wally World in 2009. She thought I needed a "Store Bought" computer. This IS my first out of a box! I have had computers since the AppleII and...as much as I love computers...I have never pulled the trigger on a new one~ I have always been content to fix someone elses "Throw Aways" "Dumpster Jewels" as I call 'em!
    So...now I have this 64bit machine that is pretty slow (For what I thought a new computer would be like) and I want to make it a bit more "perky"!

6. raybro

raybro

Click here for info on your computer. Google does it again!!! (y). Click here for RAM info from Crucial.

Raybro

7. mykidsdaddy

(y)Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried that and came up with every # but my own! OK...I did NOT google it! :( My Bad! But i did go to HP and Neweggs Memory Configurator! In any case...I gave up too easily it seems!
    Happy New Years to all of you!
    Thanks again!:D(y)

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Another upgrade that would help would b to upgrade your processor. You could put in an Athlon X2 5600+ which give you a noticable speed icrease over the sempron you have.

9. mykidsdaddy

Now that's a thought! I will look into the new processor thing at lunch! Right now...gotta get going. First day of work and 28 days til the plant locks its doors for good:( Not looking forward to job hunting:confused:

10. mykidsdaddy

OK...I went to Newegg and they didn't list the exact number you suggested...so, I went to the HP link that Raybro gave me and I got this:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Socket type: AM2+
    TDP: 95 watt
    •AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
    •AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
    •AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
    •AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
    •AMD Athlon X4
    •AMD Athlon X3
    •AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

WOW!!! It looks like I have alot of choices! So, if I do a processor swap...will my machine just recognize it and "run with the ball" or do I have an install procedure or CD to run or what???
    Sorry for being an amature when it comes to this, but I haven't done it before! I HAVE swapped out a motherboard and it went amazingly smooth. But a CPU upgrade is a whole new ballgame.

11. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Something you can try if you have this problem in the future is Crucial's System Scanner. At least it's worked on my PC's when I haven't been able to identify it in the configurator. (Once was a Toshiba that was so new I couldn't even find the model number on Toshiba's support site. Another time was a 'white-box' system. In both cases Crucial's System Scanner appeared to work by identifying the mobo.)

12. mykidsdaddy

.So...I'm back! Yesterday was my official "Last Day"! I am now un-employed! We (all 92 of us) have to go in on Monday to sign our severance papers, shake some hands and say some good byes. Other than that...:confused:

Getting back to my upgrade...I am looking at the processor swap as a do it now thing! Is there anything I need to do before powering down, cracking the case and swapping the chip?
    Never done this before and don't want to blow the project with a stupid mistake.
    I will be sure to get the heat sink compound of course. But I am worried how the new processor will just pick up where the old one left off and if there are settings that I need to make. Besides this being my first CPU swap, it will be my first multi core processor PERIOD! Yeah yeah...I am draggin' my technical feet!;)
    Also...dual core is less than $50.00, quad cores are 79.00 and up. Will it make much of a difference 2 vs 4???
    Thanks!

13. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I've never done a CPU swap so don't know if anything will be needed on that. I've done a mobo swap & that needed new drivers, but I think that was for the chipset, not the CPU.

Regarding dual vs quad-core, you probably wouldn't see much, if any, difference-but it does depend on what software you run. First, most software is single-threaded anyway so the only advantage of dual-core is that Windows will distribute all the various processes that run across the cores, thus reducing the load on the core to which your app will be assigned. Quad cores will theoretically reduce it further, but it's a law of diminishing returns sort of thing-you get the most performance improvement from the 1st split.

If you're running software that takes advantage of multiple cores then that's different and you'd probably see a performance improvement by adding more cores. I can't tell you what software does that as I don't use any. (Graphics rendering software, mostly, I think.) You might also see some improvement if you run a *lot* of processes. IMO most cores can handle 30 or so processes without significant slowdown (depends on the process, of course) so you can see why I emphasize that you'd need to run a lot of them to really utilize a quad-core just for that.

Now, that's all regarding the current state of the art in programming. As multiple cores become more common more & more programs are written to take advantage of them so IMO a quad-core will have a long usable life than a dual-core, but keep in mind that the core isn't the only thing that becomes obsolete. A few years ago I invested in the future by adding 1GB of ECC RAM to my server-which is running Windows XP on a 1.7GHz CPU. Yes, it's still usable but since it can't run Windows 7 (and thus can't connect to a Home Group network) it's becoming less & less so all the time. So the bottom line is not to worry too much about buying something now to take care of future problems, unless you absolutely know how the future will unfold.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I swap cpus, I do the following;
    1 Open case and pull old cpu
    2 Clear cmos with the clear jumper
    3 Install new cpu and hsf
    4 Pw ON and enter the bios; load defaults. Save settings and restart
    5 Again enter the bios and make any custom settings you need ie boot order, sata mode, etc. With a big box system like hp, you are pretty limited on bios settings anyway so you may not need to alter anything. Make sure cpu is correctly IDed in the bios.
    6 Pw ON and let the system boot into windows. Done.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Calvin I use win2k for my home server with 3 other systems running win7. Just share the drives and you are good to go. I do not even mess with the home group.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!