1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM Memory Expansion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilyabyk1983, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilyabyk1983

ilyabyk1983 Banned Thread Starter

Hi everybody. I have a question a bit strange/or difficult! I'm using Dell Dimension E521. I have 4 (four) slots to add more RAM memory. I have it filled with 4 (four) 512 MB RAM modules. I have a feeling that I need a bit more. What can I do? My motherboard supports only 2 gigabytes all together. Wondering if there is anything I can buy (a link for the item please) to add another 2 gigabytes? It can be something what I can plug in to one of my USB outlets. Or do you think the existing 2046 MB of RAM memory is enough for me?
    (How difficult would it be to install a different motherboard? I don’t really understand what can I do with a Processor chip itself?)

2. Sponsor

3. CHRIS@BAD2BEEF

[email protected]

If your motherboard only supports 2GiB, you are stuck. 2GiB is enough for most people.

One option you have is to defragment your hard drive, and create a large, static pagefile (virtual memory). By default, Windows adjusts this on the fly. As you need more virtual memory, the file gets bigger and can be split up into multiple chunks, degrading performance. Chances are, this isn't going to give you a terribly noticeable performance boost, but if you are running into memory issues it can help.

Swapping out a motherboard is almost as labor intensive as assembling a new machine. I wouldn't recommend you try it without assistance.

4. ilyabyk1983

Thanx on the help about swaping them, what about, is there anything I can buy to plug in to my USB port?

5. GripS

GripS

2gb should be plenty. Only if you were running Vista or XP 64bit would i recommend more. If you are running Windows XP 32bit then you don't need anymore ram.

Why is it that you think you need more ram? If it's gaming performance you can thank the low end video card that comes in that machine.

6. CHRIS@BAD2BEEF

[email protected]

If you have Vista, you can try using a USB flash drive with ReadyBoost, however reports suggest that if you have more than 1GB or so of RAM, the performance boost is insignificant. So, practically, no.

7. ilyabyk1983

If you say so, then I'll stop even thinking of it. My graphix card is 512 MB.

8. ilyabyk1983

Please CLOSE or delete this thread!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664293