1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM (Moved from Windows 7 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godmyeyesarebad!, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godmyeyesarebad!

Godmyeyesarebad! Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stuart
    I have 8GB of RAM in my Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (Socket M2) motherboard in 4 slots of 2GB each.

I would like to increase this to a total of 16GB and I read somewhere that it was necessary to replace the RAM in pairs.

So what would you advise as the best way to increase the RAM to 16GB - start afresh with 4x4GB (to use all the slots) or buy 2x8GB, only using 2 slots.

Your advice is most welcome. Many thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 motherboard supports either 16 GB or 32 GB of RAM, depending on which revision you have.

Revisions 2.0 and 2.1 and 2.2 and 3.0 support 16 GB of RAM.

Revision 3.1 supports 32 GB of RAM.

All revisions use 240-pin DDR3-1066 MHz or DDR3-1333 MHz, 1.5 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC modules

----------------------------------------------------------

8 GB of RAM is sufficient for most computing functions. Do you really need 16 GB of RAM?

----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to the crucial site and input your mb model. It will show all compatible ram AND guarantee that it will work. Note you do not have to purchase the ram from crucial; you can purchase it from an online retailer in your area.
    http://www.crucial.com/

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Just to save some time, I went to the Crucial site and inputted that motherboard.

It shows 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of DDR3-1600 MHz.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

[​IMG]Also re your posted board
    as far as I can see it has socket AM3
    I cannot find any evidence of that model of board with AM2 socket

Re this
    Ideally you would use 4 x 4GB all matched exactly so that each channel has matched pairs
    Any one channel should always have matched pairs

HOWEVER as my colleague has said - why do you think that you need 16GB - unless you have some problems with streaming video etc or whatever it is that makes you think an upgrade of ram would assist you - you may not find the results are worth the cost

You dim slots are numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 from the processor and coloured blue, white, blue, white.
    So one channel is slots 1 and 2 and the other slots 3 and 4
    to use dual channel you insert ram in the SAME coloured slots
    Therefore one stick in slot 1 and one stick in slot 3 eg both blue is populating dual channel.

and from your manual

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  6. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you all for your input.

Sorry for any confusion but I copied the data about the MB from Speccy and you are quite right it is socket AM3 and the revision is 2.1 so it seems the 16GB would be possible. From what you say and as I understand it, it would be preferable to have 4x4GB.

There are so many different brands on the market - is there one that stands out more than any other.

The reason I'm leaning towards 16GB is that I do a lot of photo editing and image stacking with Photoshop using fairly large RAW files. Up to now, everything has been OK but the last time I used Photoshop I was in the middle of doing a panorama using multiple files and I got a popup saying I had to close all my work as I had run out of memory. So all that I had done for the previous hour or so had been lost .........

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're intent on buying a 16 GB(4 GB X 4) memory kit for that desktop, make sure to buy a quality brand and not some cheap generic brand or from someone on eBay just to save a few dollars.

Crucial is the most recommended brand that we see here(and is what I buy), but there are others.

Since you live in France, I'm not sure which memory manufacturers sell and deliver there.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Macboatmaster

9. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you macboatmaster for the very interesting article.

I checked the crucial website and found that I can buy either of the two recommendations via Amazon who deliver to France, so it looks that I'll be buying 4 of the "Ballistix Tactical BLT4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64".

Thanks again for your help with this.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck with the new DDR3-1600 modules. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

11. scarface_qwerty

scarface_qwerty

i will go for corsair 2x8 gb. 8 gb + 16 gb. since the photoshop can use as much ram as can you fit there.
    then later can go all 4x8 gb

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would really doubt the poster should go to 4x8gig since the board only supports 16gig. The poster has version 2.1 which only supports 16gig NOT 32gig.

13. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks again everyone for making this very clear and now I have a full understanding of what I should be getting for my motherboard (4x4GB memory).

This website/forum and its members have given me a much better understanding of how PCs work and I want to say how much everyone's input on this and previous postings of mine have helped me out over time.

14. Macboatmaster

Thanks for the note of appreciation
    You are more than welcome
    Hope all goes OK with it

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice