Solved: Ram+peak+page File

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sideshow_Bob

Recently the idea of purchasing some more RAM crossed my mind considering how cheap it can be now. After doing some searchin on google, i found mixed feelings towards whether or not you should have more than 1GB of RAM. I also started reading about the Windows Page file. I am running the following system: 3.2GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM. I download alot of torrent files but i am not a hardcore gamer. My question is why does it seem like windows is not using my ram to its full potential. The Peak always shows about 667236, and while i am currently downloading a torrent the page file is at 635MB. Should the page file not only be in use when you need to store more memory than u have RAM? What settings/modifications should I make for optimal performance, and should I get more RAM? I was thinking adding another 512.

At one point i disabled the Page File but Photoshop got mad. Is there anything wrong with disabling the PF, and should u when u have a certain amount of RAM?

Any guidance helpful.

Windows XP always uses the page file for low priority data regardless of how much physical memory is free. If you still have a lot of physical memory free while you are using as much of it as you ever would, you do not need to upgrade your memory. 1GB of memory is usually more than enough for any normal task. And no, it is not a good idea to disable the page file, as you found out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online