1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM slot broke all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mathieumg, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mathieumg

mathieumg Thread Starter

Here's the story:

Two weeks ago, my cat was near me and I wanted to scare it a bit, so I tapped on the floor (near where my PC is) with my feet and I ended up having a BSOD on my computer. The last week-end, I went to a LAN party and when the time came to boot up my computer, the internal speaker started beeping every 3 seconds and my monitor wasn't turning on. So I opened the case and unplugged one device at a time and rebooted until I found the culprit. With 3 sticks of RAM it worked ok, not with 4 (I was running 4x512mb until that happened) so I wanted to check if whether the RAM or the 4th slot itself was faulty, I switched the RAM stick from 3rd slot to the 4th, it started beeping again. So I take it the 4th RAM slot is faulty, but why, and most importantly, why did it break suddenly (if its broken at all)?

I would like to find out if it is really broken or not (maybe is the slot unstable, unclean? would explain the BSOD with the cat) and how to fix it if at all possible.

My mobo is: Gigabyte K8U-939

My ram is:

2x Kingston Value Ram 512MB 333MHz DDR PC2700 DIMM CL2.5

2x Corsair Value Select 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM CL2.5

My RAM was in Dual-Channel mode (and still is, but only 1GB for now obviously...)

If you need more information, just ask for it and I will provide it!

Thanks a lot in advance to help me with this.

2. GripS

GripS

I would suspect a bad ram module before i blamed the slot.

Test each stick individually with memtest86.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it's best to run the same in all slots, it'll default to the slower speed.

take 'em all out and try them in one slot at a time and see if it's recognized.

try to remember which one is questionable.

4. mathieumg

mathieumg Thread Starter

I will try to run the test tomorrow, although I know that RAM testing is a lengthy process :p

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it's the only way to do it. one at a time, see if it's recognized, shutdown. another stick in the same slot until you've checked all sticks in all slots, shutting down whether it's read or not. unless the 1st pass on one slot isn't read, then check with another stick and if it comes as not being read, that's probably the bad slot and you may have more than one.

then 2x2, 3x3, etc..

6. mathieumg

mathieumg Thread Starter

I tested all the sticks against all the slots, everything worked fine....!?

So, I'm back on 2GB but I still don't know the cause of the problems I had, and I don't know if it is stable (haven't tried to tap my feet yet :p)

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Too many variables to make any definitive estimation of "why".

Motherboards have many layers of copper tracks in the "sandwich" and myriads of connections between components and tracks.

Just one dodgy connection or one microscopic track break can cause that. There is realistically no way to even test for that. Same issue to a lesser extent on every RAM module.

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it's all magic and mirrors.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

And smoke.

Never forget that these things run on smoke, because anytime smoke comes out, they stop working...

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'll add that one to the list.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice