1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ram? Triple Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingknightrider, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingknightrider

kingknightrider Thread Starter

Ok first and foremost my ram configuration is quite odd already.
    I have
    2x
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104200
    1x
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104261
    on a
    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX Motherboard.

And they work well together and despite what Newegg says they are the same voltage and same speed.

I am however planning on adding another ram stick but the website I buy from does not have either of these in stock anymore.

So I was planning on going with this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4503&cm_re=HX316C9SR/4-_-20-104-503-_-Product

Workable?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The new ram you linked to is only 1.5V ram so you are going to either overvolt the new chip or undervolt the old ram.

Just about all ram can safely be run @1.6V or so. That may be a reasonable setting for all of your ram. The only way you are going to know for sure is to install the ram and set whatever vdimm you want ie 1.5V, 1.6V or whatever. Run memtest for at least 1hr to see if you get any errors. In addition, I would also run prime95 for a minimum of 10~15min to see if there are any problems.
    With mis-matched ram, I doubt you would be able to run in dual channel. You might get the 4gig chips to run in dual channel however then again you might not.

You posted that you already have 8gig total of ram and it is working ok. Do you really need the extra 4gig? What are you intending on doing that would use that much ram? Usually 8gig is more than enough unless you are running multiple virtual machines or editing VERY large photoshop files or something similar.

3. kingknightrider

I used AIDA 64 to find out that the voltage and speed were the same.

So if I have 2 2GB ram chips and 2 4 GB ram chips they will not run in dual channel mode because they different models?

What is prime95?
    I do ALOT of multitasking and usually end up getting upwards of 91% or higher of my memory used even at 8GB of RAM.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is useless. You have to go by the mfg's spec and that shows different voltage requirements. Of course they are going to show that they are currently the same voltage; spd and voltage are set by the first ram chip.

As I said maybe yes and maybe no.

Stress testing program.

5. kingknightrider

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is somewhat misleading. If you look under the features for this one, it shows 1.5V however under the description for the same chip, it shows 1.65V.
    http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9AD3B1_2G.pdf

This is often done when the chip is rated at one set of speed/timings with stock [1.5V] and another set of speed/timings using 1.65V.

7. kingknightrider

So the chip is no good for my intentions?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No one can give you a definitive answer. The best option is to install matching ram chips all of the exact same speed, timings, and voltage, however IF you want to try, it may work and it may not work. It may work in dual channel and again it may not.

In this case, you are a beta tester.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

10. kingknightrider

Thank you greatly. I will leave this open till I get the chip and install and update this then.

11. kingknightrider

The ram chip has worked; -passed the tests. According to AIDA 64 it is running at 1.5 v like the other three and running at 1600 speed. Is there anyway to test to see if it is running in dual mode? If it showed in the tests I missed it.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should show during POST. If you have the asus splash screen rather than post data, you can change that in the bios/uefi. If the post screen is too fast to be able to read, just hit the pause key; that will stop post. Hit any key to continue post.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should add that cpuid will show dual channel as well.

14. kingknightrider

No splash screen here. So CPU-Z is the only alternative.
    Under the memory tab of CPU-Z program where it says
    "Channel#" is that where it shows if it is in dual mode or not?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it should be under the memory tab. I am not on the windows system right now so I cannot check however I believe that is where it is shown. On my windows system, it shows dual channel under the memory tab.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice