1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RAM Usage While Idle is over 77%

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sectorbob, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sectorbob

Sectorbob Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Here is my rig:
    Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 OEM
    4 GB of ddr2 at 1066mhz
    Intel Core 2 Quad G9450 2.66ghz, 12mb L2
    Nvidia Geforce 9800 gx2, 1gb
    EVGA 750i FTW SLI motherboard
    antec 900 case

Here's my problem:

I will be running Vista Ultimate with few processes and only using about 25%-30% of my 4gb of RAM. However, randomly, the RAM will skyrocket to at least 77% and there aren't any programs which could possible be utilizing that RAM that are on my pc. (Seriously what program could initialize taht would use 2 gb of memory off the bat).

I figured it might be some gay spyware or crap, but I have Kaspersky Anti-virus 2009, and a 64 bit operating system. Plus, I do not go to promiscuous website which would attract that crap, so I have no second thought of this being spyware.

Another thought. The RAM only caps out when the pc has been powered on for over an hour...

This is sucks and I have to restart the pc to reset the RAM, and I would just like to fix this. Please help.

~Kyle

2. Sponsor

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What programs are you using? There could be a memory leak or other bug in one of them.

Its only one possible explanation, but worth looking into.

4. Sectorbob

Sectorbob Thread Starter

Yeah, I have Azureus Vuse which I believe is weighing my pc down... it's just weird that it would be using so much RAM.

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

First of all, almost all programs request 2GB when starting. Vista normally assigns a portion of that to actual RAM then maps the rest to a swap file.

Second, and this has been stated in every way but upside down, unless your system is actually complaining about not enough RAM, or the system is actually slowing down because of a lack of RAM, your free RAM counter means absolutely nothing. The old adage is true, "Free RAM is wasted RAM."

Windows will try to make use of every single bit of RAM it can get its hands on; first with programs, then with caches, then with possible program requests, then with file caches. When Windows actually needs RAM, getting it is relatively easy; just overwrite the caches or move other programs. In fact, Windows is defragmenting your RAM all the time. That's what it is doing when the hard drive is working but you don't have anything else going on.

Finally, you may be using some programs that don't give up RAM when they are supposed to. The most notable is FireFox.

Bottom line: It isn't a problem until something breaks. My guess? You are resetting the PC for nothing. The next time you feel the need to reset your PC because of the RAM, close the SideBar or maximize the screen you are looking at and ignore it.

Courtney

6. Sectorbob

Sectorbob Thread Starter

alright cool! Thanks a bunch. Yeah it was definitely azureus. I think I may jump to 8gb of ram soon.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice