1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] ramifications of AMD cpu damage...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vynsane, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

hi all, new here...

i've built two systems to date, so i pretty much know what i'm doing, but have the irrational fear of the AMD boogie man story that heatsink application to the cpu must be PERFECT or else the world ends...

i recently purchased and installed a new heatsink from www.quietpc.com because the old one was incredibly loud, and on the test run, the heatsink actually FELL OFF THE CPU!!! (i know, i'm an idiot...) and the system turned off immediately (thank god!)

anyway, does anyone have any experience to catasrophic failure and mishaps with AMD cpu's?

if you crack the die, will the system still work? what if it has minor heat damage?

i'm typing to you now ON the system that this happened to, so it SEEMS to be okay, but i'm worried that the functionality belies a deeper horrific problem... so, anyone?

2. active95

active95

I'm one of those....lol
    Fried 2 AMD's and cracked one ...
    Basically on one of the AMD's upon install and power on , smoke came up , die came apart ( easy to see since i haven't had the case on..). The other one burned too but no smoke came out since the case was on ( just that i wasn't able to power on). The cracked on it was on the side of the die....
    I have to say that it's NOT AMD"s fault ( well not quite , it would be nice if AMD would have a heat spreader like P4 ) but the manufacturers of the heatsinks...
    Basically if you go with an "el cheapo" one , chances are that it will burn ... :D
    Now if you can adjust the core voltage ( in BIOS ) might wanna play with it . For example on a AMD 1.4 266 which the BIOS would run it at 1.75 ( stock ) i was able to use it without any problems on a 1.675 V along with an Alpha PAL8045 and a Panaflow fan ( which reduced the noise and keep it at a 100 F under normal load )
    And to be honest there are a whole lot of guys with burned cpu due to "el cheapo" heatsinks.
    There are couple of tthing that can help avoid all those problems.
    1. Do spend some money for a good heatskink ( Alpha,Thermaltake,GlobalWin ) with a copper plate.
    2. Do not put a whole lot of grease. Just a little dab and do use ArticSilver paste ( a bit more expensive bur worth the price)
    3.Install the cpu and the heatsink while the motherboard is out of the case ( that way you don't have to apply a whole lot of force and also have easier access to see how it seats into the socket)
    4. Some guys do install you what is called a shimm , but in my experience ( and i did build 40+ pc's with AMD's cpu's ) it's not need it if a good heatsink is used.
    5. Do take your time when installing a heatsink don't rush it , as it might crush the die , thus making the AMD a nice key chain rig :(
    HTH

3. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

so you're saying that the system wouldn't respond at all if i had damaged it? as i said, it's running right now, so if that's the case, i'm golden... :D

the heatsink i got is a radial fin design with a low rpm fan, to reduce noise... it's not a cheapy by any means...

here it be...

it is really super quiet! pretty amazing. the hard drives are the loudest thing in the case now, which i'm surprised at, as i thought my power supply was the major culprit.

anyway, i still don't feel out of the woods yet, but i'm feeling better about this...

4. active95

active95

Well the system boots up then you should be ok but ...
    1. i wouldn't touch the heatsink ( as in try to put a different one)
    2. the heatsink that you have looks pretty good, so again you shouldn't try to install another one
    And yes, most of the times with an AMD ( well with most of the cpu's ) , if you start the puter and there are no beep and no signal on the monitor , the cpu is the culprit.
    So thank your lucky stars that is working :D

5. rugrat

rugrat

My 2 cents, active95

has more experience as I have only built a few AMD systems but, if you cracked the die or burnt the chip, the machine would be toast!!! You only get one shot at such a failure. You are probably good to go. I have never used a spreader and have never had a failer.

Just an opinion,

SeeYa

6. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

thanks, both of you... yeah, the system has been on now for almost 12 hours straight, so i think i'm aright... ROCK! the new sink/fan is really super quiet and runs the proc cooler as well! now i just have to quiet down the HDD, and all will be right with the world...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice