Solved: Ran out of memory while using "Photo Editor"- help please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
For the first time in a while, I was using "Photo Editor" from "Office XP Pro" to view pictures I had scanned into my system. I then decided to use "Auto Balance" to see any difference in the display. I liked the balanced ones and saved them separately, leaving the original pic in the file, too. After I had worked on this project a short while, an error message appeared telling me I had run out of memory. I went to 'Help and Support' and was given the advice to remove some running programs. There were no programs running- the system tray was virtually 'naked,' for I had closed all the programs that load at start-up prior to using "Photo Editor." There were no other active programs that I was aware of. Could there be some "hidden away."

I have 512 MB of RAM, and the partition containing data files is only 5% filled. Why the message? What do I do to continue my project, which is only 1/3rd finished?

Many thanks for any help offered. {redoak} :confused:

These is a known bug in Photo Editor which can occur using GIF files.
Changing the file types to BMP or JPG stops the error.

But if you are not working with GIF files anyway, my first thoughts would be that these is a corrupt image causing the error. It should not happen under normal use.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
All the images are "JPG." Interestingly, I was able to resume my p[roject after an hour hiatus during which I ran "AVG" simply because I wanted to make use of the available time ["Knock wood," I have never had any kind of malware infect my system. I have a number of protective programs in place, update 'definitions' at least weekly, and run the progras at least weekly.] The C. was not shut down nor put on standby. I auto- balanced 3-4 pics before the same message about lack of memory showed up.

How would I go about locating a corrupted pic? None that I worked with failed to auto-balance and both the original and the altered one looked normal on the screen.

Thanks for your response. {redoak}

I wonder if there is a bug in Microsoft Photo Editor under XPSP2?

They have dumped it from the latest version of Office, perhaps that tells us something....
I use it here infrequently (from the XP Office suite, I like its simple cropping and rounded corner options) but never do or try sequential autobalances. There is so much better image editing software out there for that purpose.

Try Picasa (free from Google) its so much better, plus it does not meddle with the original file so you can revert at any time even after saving.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"k": Thanks for staying with me. I will download "Picasa", since it has your strong rec. I ran "Photo Editor" on my previous C. that was not "SP2" with no trouble. I purposely chose the "Office XP Pro" suite when I was planning the programs for my current C. so I would have it. I knew it was not included in the latest version of Office. I might try an inquiry to MS to see what they have to say. I could inquire more intelligently thanks to your insights. I'll be back once I have tried Picasa.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"k" or anyone: When Picasa scanned for photo files it found only those in "My Pictures." I have the bulk of mine in other files. Somehow it missed them, perhaps because I chose the short scan. How do I go back and do another initial scan? I closed the program and re-opened it, but the choice of a scan was not offered. This has to be possible if you are to access additions made along the way.

I will direct further ?s to a new thread, with an appropriate title.
Many thanks "k". {redoak} :)

redoak said:
...There were no other active programs that I was aware of. Could there be some "hidden away."

I have 512 MB of RAM, and the partition containing data files is only 5% filled. Why the message? What do I do to continue my project, which is only 1/3rd finished?

Many thanks for any help offered. {redoak} :confused:
You can download Process Explorer from: http://www.sysinternals.com
It's a better tool than Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del or right-click in system tray). It presents the process hierarchy differentiating between system and application processes, lets you kill any killable process, lists associated dlls to processes, and displays number of threads associated to process.

I often find a process or two running after I have shutdown the processes in my system tray when installing new software which requires all Windows programs running to be shutdown.

-- Tom

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Tom: Thanks for the url; I'll be downloading that app. I thought to look at the list of "proceeses" when "Photo Editor" produced the error message. Of course there were some running; I didn't think of them as 'programs' taking up RAM. Now I know. There were only 20 odd, whereas I have heard that it is typical for there to be 50 or more.

I have posted a plea for help with my Thread subject on the MS 'Newsgroups' site. I still had a valid sign in from when I went there before learning about TSG, which is far superior in every way. I also emled the problem directly to MS support. I should hear from them by tomorrow, at least that is the time frame they promise. I will post here whatever info comes from those two sources of help.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I learned about the "Paging File" from my search for a solution to my problem. I arbitrarily increased the max setting to 1800 from the preset 1536. I made a trial run of "Photo Editor" earlier tonight without encountering the problem of running out of memory.

I sure would appreciate comments/advice from those who comprehend the importance of the "Paging File" and the settings for it. Have I "screwed up?"

{redoak} :) I hope!

redoak said:
I learned about the "Paging File" from my search for a solution to my problem. I arbitrarily increased the max setting to 1800 from the preset 1536. I made a trial run of "Photo Editor" earlier tonight without encountering the problem of running out of memory.

I sure would appreciate comments/advice from those who comprehend the importance of the "Paging File" and the settings for it. Have I "screwed up?"

{redoak} :) I hope!
redoak,
Looks like you found a solution! (y)

Since you have a 40GB disk with hopefully lots of contiguous storage, this solution should continue to work for some time until a larger Photo Editor problem is attempted at which point you can probably again increase the size of the page file. Keep the disk defragged on a regular basis (weekly?), and run a defrag before bumping up the value next time.

I am a bit surprised that the preset page file size was 1536 for your page file, as I thought it was a factor of 1.5 * amount of RAM - go figure? I have 1GB of RAM and my pagefile is the same, 1536. Must be a WinXP constant.

You can mark the problem solved with the Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

-- Tom

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Tom: I read the section on 'paging file' and synonyms in "Windows XP Inside Out" after I made my last post. Yes, the 'minimum' figure is ideally 1.5 times the RAM capacity. The ideal 'maximum' is 3.0 times the RAM capacity. Therefore, I have tweaked my numbers to 750 and 2250. However (!), the book makes reference to how the formula makes the paging file much too large for RAMs above 512.

I will close the Thread as you commented. {redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online