1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ran System Recovery then PC froze at registration process

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by liebjosi, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liebjosi

liebjosi Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario S4000NX desktop, 2.4 gigahertz Intel Celeron with (1) 40 G hard drive and (1) 4 G (that someone else installed for me 2 yrs. ago). I bought the PC in '03. I ran the System Recovery by going into the Program Files and Compaq instead of using the CDs. I thought I would be prompted to insert the CD once the program started but I wasn't. It took about 20 min. to complete. That was a red flag to me because it was so quick. It restarted and brought me to the registration process. Once through that, I was at a screen that basically said I was done and in order to go to my desktop, I should click on the "Finish" button. I did so, and a large hourglass appeared and my PC froze. I shut it down cold, booted it up again, it went through the same process, I ended up at the same page, clicked on "Finish" and it froze again. I decided to try to use the Recovery CDs before I shut it down again in the hope that I could go through the process with the CDs. When it booted up again with the 1st CD in the drive, there was a black screen that prompted me to type in whether I wanted a Restore, Full Recovery or Quit. I couldn't type anything in because, for some dumb reason, my keyboard didn't work. I ejected the CD, shut it down cold again, re-booted it and my keyboard started working again but I ended up back at the registration screen where it froze initially.

Sorry this is so lengthy but I want to be as thorough as possible. I also want to add that before I even started the System Recovery process, I backed up my data on the external hard drive. I was going to burn some music and pics for my daughter but found out that the files were too large so I just moved them to my EHD. Once that was finished, I still had files in the "burn" folder so I proceeded to delete them. As they were being deleted, I recvd a pop-up from AVG stating that it had found SEVERAL trojans. It asked if I wanted it to remove the threat and if so, the system could become unstable or crash, and it prompted me to click on "yes" so I did. About 10 seconds later, the same window popped up again so I clicked "yes". About 10 seconds later it happened again. I must've clicked on it at least 20x. It seems to me that it was a loop. That's when I just went ahead with the System Recovery and now it seems that I'm really in deep. I sure would appreciate your help!

2. liebjosi

liebjosi Thread Starter

Well.....I posted this 3 days ago and didn't receive a reply :mad: I solved the problem myself.

3. robo

robo

How did you solve the problem?

4. liebjosi

liebjosi Thread Starter

I replaced the CMOS battery

5. robo

robo

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem but it was worth a try.

6. liebjosi

liebjosi Thread Starter

That's a bummer. Well then, best of luck and hopefully someone will give you the help needed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice