1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random black screens while playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Smokei, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Hello,

I have the following problem for a while now and I've ran out of ideas on how to fix it.

So, while I play games, at random times, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour or more, my screen will become black and unresponsive. Sometimes I'm able to still hear the game sound after the screen goes black, and sometimes I can hear buzzing. The screen doesn't always go black, I can sometimes see, umm, lets say vertical stripes in different colours.

It happens in all games I play (Starcarft 2, League of Legends, Diablo 3..) and it is really really ruining the game experience for me.

Computer configuration is the following:
    intel core i3 540 4
    GB DD3 1333 MHz
    radeon hd 5750 1 GB graphics
    Samsun 24'' monitor
    Win 7 64 bit windows

The computer is about a year old, and this problem wasn't happening from day one when I bought it.

So far I've tried many things including:
    Antivirus scan - nothing was found
    Memtest - no errors were found
    Temperature checks - all temperatures were ok
    Complete driver wipeout and reinstalling - didn't give any results
    Motherboard, sound driver updates - didn't give any results
    Various Catalyst Control Center tweaks - didn't give any results
    Many many other things that I've read in threads where people had similar problem like me and it helped them

I am really running out of ideas and I'd really like to fix this.

Thanks in advance

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Is this a 'big brand' machine like HP, Dell, Acer etc ro a self / custom build?

If it's big brand, what is the exact make and model, have you changed / upgraded any hardware in it?

What is the exact make and model of the power supply?

3. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Hi, it is not really a big brand, it is MSG W computer. Anyways, it is not a custom build and I didn't do any changes or upgrades in it.

Power supply in it is 500 W MS industrials and since its not a custom made computer I guess that those who assembled it were sure that the PSU is strong enough?

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    For a prebuilt machine, some of the first things I would look at are:

1) Any upgrades ... you say you haven't done any so it is exactly as it came out of the factory.
    2) Overheating ... very very common especially over time as dust builds up on the heatsinks. You say the temps are OK, but what are those temps? What software did you use to check them?
    3) Power Supply ... Typically prebuilt machine manufacturers cut costs where possible (obviously, they want to make as much profit as they can). The PSU is always a prime candidate for buying cheap when infact it is probably one of the most important components to buy quality (if you want the PC to last anyway). All PSU's output degrade over time, the harder it has to work (near its limits) the faster it will degrade.

Can you post a couple of screenshots with HWMonitor (free app). Post 1 shot of it when your PC has just turned on and sat at the desktop (with HWMonitor running of course :) ) and then a second screenshot where you have run a game for a few minutes (with HWMonitor running in the background), hopefully it won't crash.

5. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Ok, I'll take the screenshots now.

6. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Here are the pictures. As you can see, nothing special, I doubt its overheating :/

Attached Files:

7. tom6049

tom6049

If the video card isn't over heating and isn't over clocked, then it sounds like it's simply dying.
    It wouldn't hurt to make sure that the video card fan is still spinning.

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Temps etc all look fine as you said, I didn't necessarily doubt what you said but always good to see it :). The +12v rail is well out in those screenshots but I suspect that is the software misreading the sensor, if it was the values in the pictures I would be surprised that the machine ran at all, might be worth just double checking it in the BIOS to see what the +12v rail is at idle.

The card could be on its way out and your symptoms could easily be a sign of that. I assume Windows and all your drivers etc are all patched and up to date? Using the latest certified drivers from the graphics card manufacturer, not beta ones.

9. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Yes, all driverrs are updated, no beta drivers are used.

I've come to conclusion that I'll have to replace my graphics card. Anyone can name me a few that will do for me? I'm mostly playing diablo 3, starcraft 2 and LoL

10. black-wolf

black-wolf

11. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Ok, I've taken my PC to repair to the shop where I bought it.

It was there a few days, I picked it up, the guy that repaired it said that computer nicely passed Memtest, prime 95, VGA test and wd diag.

He told me that I could reinstall OS, which I did and today again, played few games of SC II, and BAM it happnes again, in Diablo 3, it happened again.

I've updated all the BIOS, Audio/Video drivers, reinstall both starcraft 2 and diablo 3 and it still crashes.

Please help me somehow, I'm really out of options :(

12. black-wolf

black-wolf

Check the voltages in the bios and make sure the 12 volt is OK. What are the manufacturer and specs of your PSU? They should be on the side of the unit when you take the side panel off.

How much RAM is in the machine?

13. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

14. black-wolf

black-wolf

Voltages look OK.
    Try running with 1 stick of RAM in slot A if OK then switch sticks and try the same thing.

15. Smokei

Smokei Thread Starter

Well, the guy in the repair did memtest on both sticks and he said that it was fine.

I think I'll buy a new graphics card tomorrow.
    Is that a good decision?
    What if it still crashes after that??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice