1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random BSOD's in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by supertoth, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supertoth

supertoth Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been getting random BSOD on my computer for several months and i haven´t been able to locate the problem. The blue screens would usually happen within a couple of days of use.

I tested my ram with Memcheck86+ (for a whole day) and window´s memory check tool and both came back without errors. I also used the checkdisk utility in vista but didn´t find any problem.

My computer is a Sony Vaio Tz laptop running windows vista Sp1

I tried reading the dumps with Windb hoping that something will stand out, but the dumps point to different causes, like win32k.sys, memory corruption, IRQl_not_less_or_equal, etc. and since i am no expert reading memory dumps i have no idea how to interpret them. I have attach some of the latest minidump files to this message hoping that someone can help me find a solution.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've looked at the last 4 and I don't see any common denominator as far as drivers is concerned either.

It continues to look like a hardware problem. Overheating could be a possiblility.

You need to identify a pattern if possible. When are they occuring -- startup, heavy processing, random, idle, browsing -- etc.

The only Vista specific issues for one of your dumps involves a feature few use called "readydrive" which is hybrid flash memory in drive form.

Do you have anything like that?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941020/en-us

Another possiblilty is a misbehaving antivirus or 3rd party firewall -- these insert themselves in reserved kernel memory and when they are not using the right addresses can throw all kinds of faults.

By the way, how do you like "Chrome" ?

3. supertoth

supertoth Thread Starter

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

I have been getting BSOD´s at random times, never on startup and usually after a few hours of moderate use, never heavy processing.

I dont use "readydrive". I tried de-activating Kaspersky Internet Security 7 and windows defender to see if that was the problem, but i ended up having another blue screen "memory_management".

There is the possibily of overheating problem, since the blue screens happens after several hours of use and the Vaio TZ gets hot. How could i check this? Is there a program that you can recommend me?

Although Memcheck doesnt show any error, I am also thinking about trying another Ram stick and see what happens. I have been reading that a lot of these problems are usually Ram related.

I am really liking Chrome a lot, it has some issues with Kaspersky; but it´s really fast compared with the competition and the option of closing a failed tab without losing the rest is really a great feature.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First check around the sides of the laptop and on the bottom where the vents are -- make sure they are free from dust. If you have a can of compressed air try to use it to blow the dust out as much as possible.

You can try using Speedfan to monitor temps.

In general you can't really rely on its particular "warning" criteria -- but I recommend letting the computer cool of for at least a half hour, then boot with it and note the CPU temp at the desktop. If it is not apparent what that is -- just look for whatever is rising most rapidly.

Any rise of more than 35 c from a cold boot is suspicious. Temps above 70 c are suspicious.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You would probably have to uninstall Kaspersky to see if it was a contributing factor.

As for Chrome, I think it has a long way to go -- I still have not been able to get Java to work in it despite trying the updated beta versions of Java.

5. supertoth

supertoth Thread Starter

Hi Rollin' Rog,

First of all, than you for your help, i really appreciate it.

It seems i finally found the solution to my problem. Hidden deep inside a Sony Tz forum, there was a guy that had change his laptop´s ram from 1gb to 2gb and was having random BSOD´s all the time; he solved it changing the default ram speed from Vaio´s control center from 400mhz to 533Mhz. I did that myself and since then i haven´t had any problems, and also my laptop is working smoother (faster).

Hope this can help some other Vaio owner.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I hope so too, but I'd be skeptical of that -- unless you personally installed more than came with the system. Even then, upping the speed would be more likely to result in increased, not decreased errors.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice