1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random Freezing in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jkr6064, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkr6064

jkr6064 Thread Starter

Hi, I am new to the site but it looks like you help a heck of a lot of people so I am hoping you can help me please :)

Over the last few weeks my system just keeps freezing - complete freeze, no cursor response, can't Ctrl+Alt+Del, nothing, I have to hard reboot. It appears to me to be at random points, although it does seem more prevalent whilst I am using Windows Media Player but that could be my imagination. I have just upgraded this to the beta version WMP 11.

I built the system myself 2.5 years ago, but it has worked fine until now, so it's not overclocking, overheating, bad RAM (as far as I can tell).

System details:

AOpen MK77M-8XN m/b with ViaKM400 chipset,
    1Gb RAM,
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 80Gb hard drive,
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8Ghz Batron Core CPU
    Windows XP (2002) Home SP2 and all updates as released by Microsoft

I have various bits of software downloaded and I download from the internet quite a bit. I also have Panda Paltinum 2005 Internet Security.

Neither Panda or Windows Defender can find any "nasties", so I am flummoxed.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have looked through a lot of other threads and can't see final resolutions to other people who have posted with similar problems, so I am sorry I had to post a new thread.

2. heavybob

heavybob

How about safe mode - does it work ok there

3. jkr6064

jkr6064 Thread Starter

How do I get it in safe mode?

4. heavybob

heavybob

When the computer is first booting up, tap the F8 key until a menu appears and then select safe mode

5. jkr6064

jkr6064 Thread Starter

Thanks Bob

I have run it in safe mode and it seemed to be ok, although it's difficult to tell because it really is so random in terms of timescales.

However, before I switched to safe mode I used the error checking and defrag tools built in and I had loads of defragged files so it took a while to clean it all up. I left it about 1.5 hours running in safe and I have now had about 1.5 hours in normal mode again and touch wood, it seems ok, so I am hoping that is it fixed.

I'll post again if the problem comes back.

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!