Solved: Random Internet Dropouts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Darkicon

Recently, a few times a night my internet connection drops out randomly for usually 2-3 minutes (During that period it's constantly searching, sometimes it comes in for a second, then right back out). I've replaced our modem (Ubee DVW3201B) to no avail.

The strange thing I've noticed is that is seems to drop out when a device connects to the router (Linksys EA9600), like if I turn on another computer. And just recently I noticed that it drops out if I disable my network adapter and reenable it. It doesn't do it every time though. This all started about a month ago, when TWC was out for the entire area for a few hours.

According my the modem's diagnostics, everything is well within proper values and I know, unlike last time I had issues, it's not a corroded splitter.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks! I don't know if this helps, but when it goes out, Norton logs it as the the IP address disappearing from the adapter. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever it drops out, every device in the DHCP client list renews its lease.

TerryNet

Terry
So, you have a Linksys router connected to a Ubee modem/router combo. At the same time the Ubee loses it's connection to the ISP and all devices lose their connection to the Linksys, right? My guess would be an electrical problem. If both those devices are plugged into the same power strip or surge protector try plugging them directly into a wall outlet, or at least try a different power strip.

Darkicon

Gave it a shot, no go. I figured out it's the router that's having problems. I hooked up my older EA2700 and no more disconnects, also no disconnects when wired straight into the modem. Also ran through TWC tech support, before I found my EA2700, to have them put the modem in router mode, apparently it wouldn't stick and they were having issues changing any settings on it. I'm fairly sure TWC does not test returned modems, considering I exchanged this one just over 24 hours ago.

Got Linksys to authorize the RMA on the router and I'm gonna exchange the modem (again) tomorrow. Using the EA2700 until the new one gets here. I'm assuming the problem was something with the DHCP considering I could force a dropout any time simply by releasing and renewing the IP on any connected device.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts