1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random Network Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kirak, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

Hello, TSG Forums, I just purchased a custom desktop PC to replace my aging dell model.
    Everything about it works fine, except the networking.
    The problem has me stumped, It only disconnect/lags me when I try to do stuff. I know it's not my ISP (Roadrunner) because I used the Ping tool in cmd to ping my router (A Linksys E1000) and I get results like this:
    Code:
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-2ms TIL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-3ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-2ms TTL=64
    But as soon as I turn on VoIP...
    Code:
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-2312ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-2993ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time-202ms TTL=64
    I have used 3 different network adapters (2 USB, 1 onboard Ethernet) and none of them fix it.
    My laptop (Adjacent to my desktop) gets much higher down speed, but also suffers from packet loss.
    My brother's laptop (In another room) also gets higher down speed, and ALSO suffers from packet loss.
    It's leading me to think that it's a router issue, but I've reset the router to factory settings and it still doesn't seem to help.

Result of my SpeedTest:[​IMG]

Result of my PingTest (Without using VoIP or Loading anything)[​IMG]

Result of my PingTest (Using VoIP and Loading things)[​IMG]

Does anyone have a clue what this is?
    ~Kirak

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download speed are you supposed to be getting? What do you get with a connection directly to the modem?

3. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

Plugging directly into the cable modem yielded 35MBps, and about 12ms Ping.
    Looks like it's something in the router. I don't have access to the admin interface at the moment, but I will later tonight. Thanks for the idea, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What do you mean by turning on VoIP? What VoIP service?

Where are you located in the US? (State only)

EDIT: I just reread the post. If you don't get the same issue direct to the modem, then the likley cause is the router. Just out of curosity, were you going wireless? If so, if you were to do an Ethernet connection to the router, does it do the same thing?

5. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

I tried both wireless and ethernet connections to the router. Same results either way.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then you are correct in suspecting the router. If a factory reset did not work then it sounds like a hardware issue and will need to be replaced.

7. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

Strangely enough, after messing with the configuration settings for the router, I now have ~30MBps down on wireless.. On every PC but my new one. It sees the network just fine, and connects to it, but after a minute or so of Identifying it comes back with "Unidentified Network" and "No internet access.", Then loops back to the start.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Could be that you will need to remove the wireless information from the computer and reconnect to the network.

As long as you have WPA2 and AES selected, that should get you faster speeds.

9. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

I did get the connection to work on my desktop, it only has 5MBps down, but it seems much more stable than it used to be. If it stays stable for the next few hours, I would say it's fixed.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    is 5MBps what you are meant to get or more?

11. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

I spoke too soon. Whenever I try and start something (Like a skype call) I just end up losing my internet all together, and when I try to reconnect it says that "Windows was unable to connect to the network", and I have to restart the whole PC.
    Also, I can get 35MBps without the router, so.. yea..

12. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

I think I found the issue.. but I haven't been able to fix it yet.
    Every time the connection drops out, Windows' event viewer says "The browser has forced an election" and "The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control. The reason specified was 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]"
    I disabled the Computer browser service, IPv6, "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power", and none of it works.
    I switched routers, I switched PCI Network Cards, and it hasn't fixed it.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you also disable SIPS, as indicated here? Note that you will be editing the registry so back it up first before making a change.

14. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

Since I don't have a Intel based system, I don't have a registry entry for SIPS, I searched for "SipsEnable" like the thread said to do, and it came up with nothing.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What I meant about the 5MB was is that what you are paying for, but it looks like you have a faster connection...

I am stumped for now... Keep an eye on the Event Viewer for any more of those errors.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice