Solved: Random Shutoffs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChangX

Hello,

I am having a problem with my Vista Home Premium Laptop. Recently, my laptop would just randomly shut down by itself. I don't know why but it just does. I would try to turn it back on again but then 10seconds later it would automatically shut down again.

I am suspecting that the fan isn't working right and that my CPU would overheat and then shut itself down to protect itself, however, when I put my hand to the fan, I do feel hot air blowing out. Though, I am not a computer tech guy so I don't know if it's the fan or what not. This is where this forum comes in :) I need help finding the source of this problem; may it be software related or hardware related so I can know what to do next; by repairing it or just throwing this laptop out.

Here are the specs for this laptop:

Manufacturer: HP
Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

If you need anything from me about this computer, I would gladly supply just so I can fix this laptop and use it without having to worry when it will die on me.

I've attached the 'Error' and 'Warning' logs from the Event Viewers if it is any help in helping me solve this problem.

Thanks.

Attachments

It does indeed sound like you are overheating since your processor is in a reduced performance state.

Please download hwmonitor and post a screenshot of your temps.

You will most likely have to disable the bottom of your laptop to blow out your fan.

Attachments

ChangX

How would I go about lowering the temp or making the fan run faster? I know that it is working but probably not enough.

Hi start with a can of compressed air remove the power and battery then blow out the airvents and fan,use a straw or similar to prevent the fan from turning,this should rid you of any dirt and debris.
Please note use short bursts of air and read the instructions on distance for use,also please be carefull around the fan they get very tetchy about being spun in the wrong direction

ChangX

Thanks guys. I'll head out this weekend to try it. I'll post back if it is successful :)

ChangX

Hello,

So I went out to get an air can and blew the fan out but it doesn't seem to work to it's full capacity but I guess it's ok for the time being. I also went to grab me one of these:

(SwissGear Cooling Fan)

And when I used it for at least a couple of hours, this was what I got:

In conclusion, my laptop doesn't seem to shut off anymore because it's been on for almost 12 hours and no sign of it wanting to shut off. However, my system is slow; VERY slow to boot up compared to what it was a couple of weeks ago. Does it being slow have anything to do with it over heating or it's another issue?

antech

Banned
Might be another issue.

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
2. Run a Scan.
3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
(Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
5.Copy and Paste all the contents
6. Paste them in the reply Window

Your cpu is still way to hot, thus undergoing the process of cpu throttling which is rendering your slowdown in performance.
Sometimes simply blowing air into the heat sink and fan is not enough. You will most likely have to disassemble your laptop and clear out the clog manually.

ChangX

Here is the log. I've also tried opening up the laptop but I couldn't. It had to many plastic things that were literally stuck in the computer good and I didn't want to risk breaking the plastic.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

antech

Banned
Please consider posting it like this:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 3:09:27 PM, on 4/23/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\TSMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Users\Tsaab\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: MegaIEMn - {bf00e119-21a3-4fd1-b178-3b8537e75c92} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Megaupload\Mega Manager\MegaIEMn.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TSMAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\TSMAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer for HP TouchSmart] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam" update "Software\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe" /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\agr64svc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_1b06afce\STacSV64.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
--
End of file - 9048 bytes

antech

Banned
The log seems to be clean to me atleast.
See what the experts have to say.

You have a lot of items in the startup.

1.Go to run
(Use the shortcut "Windows key + R")

2. Type "msconfig" without the quotes.

3. Go to the "startup" tab in the window that appears.

4.Disable/Untick the following items.

Reader_sl.exe

jusched.exe

QTTask.exe

iTunesHelper.exe

5. Hit the OK button

Restart when prompted to do so.

ChangX

Alright, thanks.

I was considering taking it to the shop if all else fails. It has to be a hardware problem so I'll just have to take it to the shop next week.

Thank you guys for the help. This thread can be closed now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online