1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random, sometimes rapid, keyboard/mouse disconnect and reconnect...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zeus.:God, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zeus.:God

Zeus.:God Thread Starter

I've been having an issue over the past couple days which occurs at random, in which my keyboard and mouse connect and disconnect randomly. They're both plugged into the USB's on the back of the motherboard firmly and have a good connect, but they will lose power and come back on within a second. I can tell because of the DPI setting light on my mouse, and my keyboard is backlit. A couple hours ago, it started doing it to both, at the same time, rapidly- just lights blinking on and off at an inconsistent rate, with Windows blooping occasionally saying a device is connected.

I'm going to try some different ports and see if that fixes anything, but has anyone else had this happen? Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3... I'd figure that if 2 USB ports are affected by whatever is causing the problem, it would do the same on all of them? Is it likely that my board is screwed? I had power outages a couple days ago that came on and off (as it does any friggin' time it rains in my neighborhood), so could that mess with it?

2. Zeus.:God

Shut it down earlier, turned off the PSU and discharged the system by holding the power button, then swapped ports. Just did it again to the mouse. Makes absolutely no sense to me for this to be so random. I'd figure it would be an either works or it doesn't situation, not intermittent.

3. Zeus.:God

No ideas?

Just checked all the caps on the motherboard and none are puffed or expanded in any way... If the power supply were at fault here, what would be some of the symptoms? I should notice something more than intermittent USB connectivity, right?

4. Zeus.:God

Recently noticed a bluish haze (new development since I started this thread) in game on games that make use of SLI. Tried disabling it and it worked fine. Flip flopped cards around multiple times, trying each card in each slot individually and every time both cards worked, and its only when in SLI that I get the haze. I also noticed that as of today, the mouse only shuts off and does it's weird crap in game.

I think I'm just going to replace my PSU (been meaning to upgrade to modular anyway) and RMA my motherboard... Thanks for the help, guys. 221 views and not a single response. Come on, I know its not your job to help me out, but at least some sort of response would be nice.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Sorry you have not had any help but sounds like you have already solved your own problem. The PSU would be the most obvious cause of the symptoms you have been having or a mobo fault. It is always very difficult to track down an intermittent fault.

I have a program that might determine if your PSU is faulty but with the fault being intermittent it may prove nothing.

The best way to see if your PSU is faulty is to swap it with a known good one from another PC before spending money on a new one.

6. Zeus.:God

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the last couple of times I've made threads here looking for assistance I've received none/very little. I don't know if I'm not being specific enough or if most of the people are just reading my thread to kill time while waiting for others to answer there's or what, but that's neither here nor there.

As for PSU, I do not have another one to test with, unfortunately. If I did I might not be so desperate for assistance. I enjoy building my computers, but usually it's an upgrade situation. I bought a more than sufficient power supply a few years ago, and have not needed to upgrade it, therefore its one of the few parts I do not have a spare of. I am interested in hearing a bit more about this program however.

Also, with the SLI haze issue, and how I do not get it any time I'm in SLI disabled, regardless of card or slot I'm using, I'm leaning toward the motherboard being the culprit. Unfortunately it seems that Gigabyte's RMA service is less than stellar and it will be out for a while.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, you can try this guide to test both the CPU and GPU for errors.

This guide is written for a CPU test, simply select the tab for GPU and then move the saved report to another folder and then run the test with the PSU tab. This will keep the results seperated or they will all be bundled into the same folder if run on the same date.

Post both reports and I'll have a look at them for you, a crash during the test will indicate a fault but the report will still be saved.

• Download OCCT and save to the desktop.
    • Extract the contents of the zip file to the desktop.
    • Double click on the OCCT folder to open it and then double click on the OCCT icon [​IMG] to run the program.
    • Click on the CPU:OCCT tab, leave the default setting at 1 Hour, check the Automatic button and click on the green ON button and leave the test to run. Make sure all programs and your browser are closed and do not use the PC during the test.
    • When the test ends click on the OFF button to close the software.
    • The Results window should open, if not open Documents > OCCT. You should find a folder with todays date on it. Zip the folder and send it as an attachment with your next post.
    NOTE
    If the tabs for the PSU and GPU are greyed out it means your DirectX 9 version is too old. OCCT requires DirectX 9 from March 2008 or newer.
    You can manually check it easily : just look for the file "d3dx9_37.dll" in the following folder C:\Windows\System32
    If it is not present, just download the latest Direct X9 Update for your OS and everything should run fine afterwards.

How to send an attachment.
    You must first zip the folders first to be able to attach them.
    Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
    • Click on the Browse button, find the screenshot/folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.
    • Now click on the Upload button. When done, click on the Close this window button at the bottom of the page.
    • Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

I forgot to add: The only suggestion I have for the SLI issue is to make sure you have all the most up to date drivers.

Lets see how the tests go and take it from there.

9. Zeus.:God

I ran the test for about 15 minutes a couple nights ago, and haven't had the time to run it the full length thus far. The temps of everything were fine and I've checked my voltages (as well as during that 15 minute test) and they've all been good and constant.

I've encountered another problem, that was solved with a reboot, and that was my system was starting to hang for about 3-5 seconds every 30 seconds or so- total lock up, then would return to normal. I'm thinking my power supply is not the cause of any of my problems, though I will be upgrading soon and keeping this as a backup or for a build of all my old components.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

A lock up like the one you have discribed could indicate a hard drive problem.

First follow this guide to find the chkdsk log.
    Windows 7 Disk Check log
    Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
    You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Submit/Post Quick Reply and your done.

11. Zeus.:God

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
    Date: 2/9/2012 6:28:57 AM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTYPUFFSR
    Description:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    267008 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    367 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    338370 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    267008 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
    35682 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34977472 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    266992 files processed.

File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    15340646 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

312466431 KB total disk space.
    250611976 KB in 219883 files.
    114708 KB in 35685 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    377163 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    61362584 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    78116607 total allocation units on disk.
    15340646 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 13 04 00 e4 e5 03 00 b1 1d 07 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    3c 18 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 <...<...........
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-09T12:28:57.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6520</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>COMPUTYPUFFSR</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    267008 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    367 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    338370 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    267008 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
    35682 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34977472 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    266992 files processed.

File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    15340646 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

312466431 KB total disk space.
    250611976 KB in 219883 files.
    114708 KB in 35685 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    377163 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    61362584 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    78116607 total allocation units on disk.
    15340646 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 13 04 00 e4 e5 03 00 b1 1d 07 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    3c 18 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 &lt;...&lt;...........
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I'm assuming from the "0 bad sectors" parts that is the main focus of this check? Is it possible that the only thing causing all of my problems is the motherboard?

Also, can power surges actually damage components and not harm the PSU? I've not noticed any fluctuations in the voltages as I've been monitoring them, and none of them are off from what they should be.

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

The disk check looks fine.

The random lock up added to the random problem with the keyboard and mouse loosing power is still suggesting a PSU fault.

I would suggest letting OCCT run a full one hour scan on the PSU setting and send me the logs. Just a 15 minute scan is not conclusive when there is a random fault, all it has proved is that there was no fault during the 15 minute test. You might even consider running it for several hours which will be a lot more conclusive. You can set it up and just leave it to run overnight if the downtime is an inconvenience.

It may also be worthwhile, to be sure the hard drive is perfectly healthy, to run the manufacturer's diagnostics. The disk check only checks the file system for errors but the manufacturer's diagnostics will perform a full test on the electrical and mechanical performance of the drive.

It would also be worth your time to check every connection inside the PC to make quite sure nothing is loose.

13. Zeus.:God

There is also one other issue in there that I'm unsure whether or not the PSU would be at fault for, and that's the blue haze that appears in games that take advantage of SLI. I'll enable SLI and run OCCT and see if it does anything in that (if that uses SLI).

I'll do the diagnostics for now.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

15. Zeus.:God

Hard drive diagnostic showed no errors. Starting OCCT.

EDIT:

SLI enabled, OCCT has constant blue haze and flickering. Will a faulty PSU cause this? Can the cause of this flickering harm the video cards by letting it run like that?

EDIT:

Strange... I found someone else had luck with the blue haze issue by flipping their SLI bridge. I tried it, and it worked... I have no idea how, but it does. I'm going to try flipping it back around and see if it causes the same issue, because its currently on "backwards" with the clip portions of the connector facing up rather than down.

EDIT:

SLI bridge back on in proper direction, working fine. That kinda' crap pisses me off. Thinking I've got more going wrong than I really do. Coincidences... :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice