1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Random System Halts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kanaeda, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kanaeda

Kanaeda Thread Starter

hi, i am new here, and i did search teh forums for this question, but, it's a dead thread from about 4 years ago, so here it is again, only with funkyfresh taste.

my system is as follows :
    AMD XP3000+ Liquid cooled running underclocked @ 1.98GHz (to try and see if it was an overheating issue, it isnt... my waterblock is cool to the touch, as are the coolant tubes leading away from the block)
    BFGTech 6600GT OC Edition, liquid cooled with the TT Tide self contained LC system, also not overheating (according to teh temp sensors on teh videocard)
    2GB DDR400 in Dual Channel mode, running @ DDR333 (also to keep temps down to remove the possibility of this being a heat issue) with heat spreaders on all 4 sticks
    it's in a TT Kandalf case w/ those nice ~90CFM fans pushing air through to make sure that the HD's and motherboard itself doesn't overheat.

the only thing i'm kinda wondering if it might be (which it doesn't seem to be from testing the voltages from the dual power supply rig I have to use, because i have 6HD's, the case fans, the 6600GT and the pump for the cooling system to run) is that one of the power supplies is going, but that doesn't seem right to me, since the lockups are truly random. sometimes i can play HL2 for hours on end (@1024x768 everythign maxed) without a hitch, and sometimes it'll just lock up when i'm doing my CS120 homework (intro to java... *shudder*) which is just having a single instance of textpad open...it didn't lock when i ran 3dmark06 on it, but it locked after a few minutes of playing lineage 2... then it didn't lock at all for several hours of puttering around surfing the web, but when i opened up firefox to go look something up it locked harder that it's going to be to get GW Bush outta office >.<

the power supply that runs the motherboard is also the one powering the videocard, to prevent it from being the possibility of the power getting out of sync on the card from the AGP port and the 4pin power connector.....

i'm about to power it down and install a 3.5" drive to make a memtest disk, but this random lock thing started before i installed the other GB of ram... so i'm doubtful about that.

is there any software available to test the reliability of the hard disks? could it be that maybe one of my HD's is going bad?

sorry for the rambling post, but i'm trying to make sure as much info as possible is already on hand so *maybe* someone can help me with this...

2. Bman

Bman

Kanaeda,

Check your HD's manufacturer website, there are usually free diagnostic tools available to check your harddrives. Also you will find a 'memory checker' here that will run from a CD... Memtest86+. Run these and post back any findings.

3. Kanaeda

Kanaeda Thread Starter

i just ran the chkdsk /r option mentioned in the old dead thread, and on a whim i decided to run hijack this, in case there's something there... so here's the log from that while i go install the disk drive :
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 1:24:05 PM, on 1/21/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    D:\Program Files\Blitzz\BWU713\WU713STA.EXE
    D:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
    D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    F:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    F:\temporary installs\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WU713STA.EXE] "D:\Program Files\Blitzz\BWU713\WU713STA.EXE" /START
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "D:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1136337421336
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

4. Kanaeda

Kanaeda Thread Starter

okay, so i ran a test on all of my RAM individually, and then in pairs, all of my RAM works fine individually or in pairs, i only get any sort of errors out of my RAM when i try to use 4 512MB sticks in 2GB of Dual channel, otherwise all of the ram checks out, is it possible that this is a BIOS problem for my motherboard?

5. Kanaeda

Kanaeda Thread Starter

turns out that it was a lack of airflow through my case over my Heat Spreadered RAM, simply turning around the second exhaust 120mm fan on the back of the case to blow air in, leaving only the 90mm fan on the top as an exhaust fixed my problem.
    thank you to everyone who helped me with this problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!