1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "RAW"?? hard drive format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gem60000, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

The other day the battery was removed from my laptop before it had shut down, now it wont boot up. It gets close to the log on screen and then the blue screen of death flashes up and the laptop dies. It happens so quickly and i cant see what the blue screen says.
    I tried repairing xp using the install disc but it wont recognise the hard drive. I then took the hard drive out and put it into another laptop to try fix it but the format it is showing up in is "RAW". I dont even know what RAW is. Is there anyway to restore the system files, or anyway to get my hard drive back to life? I dont want to reformat as i have not got all my stuff backed up. There is no floppy drive on the laptop.
    Please help...

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

The format raw is exactly what it says, a hard drive with no partition, therefore it cannot store data, but it can be formatted into something like Ntfs for example

3. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

Is there any utilities that will restore the system files without deleting the data on the drive?
    Ive read that i can restore the system files by using the command:
    'format c:\ /s'.
    But i cant get a command prompt.
    thanks

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Something happened to make the drive lose its integrity and now you're going to have to go into "recovery" mode if you want to try and get anything from the drive that you don't have a backup for.

You'll probably have to remove the hard drive from the laptop and try hooking it up to another computer via a cable adapter and try some recovery software on the drive to see what it can read. I suspect that most if not all your data is still there as long as you don't do anything else to the drive that might overwrite or format portions of it.

5. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

yes guys, thanks for your replys, sorry i cant reply quickly as I have to use a friends pc as mine is 'out of order'.
    I put the laptop harddrive in friends pc through usb connector, the harddrive shows up as raw when I ran o and o disc recovery on it. No files were found on it.
    Would it be possible for me to leave it in friends pc and run the command-

format e: /s

and then get the files returned to normal?

any help will be great.
    thanks gemma

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hello Gemma,

The format e: /s command you mentioned is for older versions of Windows, it won't help I'm afraid, all it does is put some Dos files on the drive, it removes everything else.

I think you're going to lose whatevers on that drive, especially as the o&o program didn't find anything.

I hope I'm wrong and others can suggest something to try.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

Elvandil. I am downloading the testdisk util. But i thought i should mention that when i try to boot up, it still shows a pic of me that i put into the boot sector using tune-up utilities. so i think some of the disc must be readable.
    ps Im really baffled by the testdisk home page, i dont think i will know how to use it, I think i will need more help, please and thank you....
    thanks gemma

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is not too easy to use. Make sure that you have the windows version that will run in a small window on the desktop.

It really is hard for me to guide you using Testdisk since a good guess is so often needed. But since it only tries to repair the partition table, if you make mistakes with it, it will not have any effect on any files that you still have on the drive. So that should encourage you to try things.

Navigate with the arrow keys. You want to scan the drive first to see if it finds partitions. If it does, you just continue and then write the changes to disk. That is about all I can add to the instructions that are posted online. Of course, you need to be reasonable and if it finds more than one partition, choose the one of the correct size.

10. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

my hard drive says its unmountable. I ran the testdisk and it was readable when i plugged it in as an external off the other laptop but when i plugged it in to its own home laptop it wont boot.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Testdisk program is supposed to search for partitions and then write the corresponding partition table to disk. It doesn't tell you anything about readability.

Run the program, search for partitions, choose "Continue", and wite the partition table to disk. Nothing can read the drive until it has a partition and file system.

12. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

i managed to recover some of the files off the drive using testdisk but it takes forever to transfer them. The blue screen of death says "unmountable_boot_volume" when i try to boot the laptop.

13. gem60000

gem60000 Thread Starter

I couldnt fix it and ended up using redhat fedora core 6 to format the drive. The winxp disk wouldnt do it and i was able to then reinstall winxp over the redhat. Drive works fine now and i was able to recover my pics and other bits using testdisk before the reinstall.
    Thanks for all the replys and help.
    Gemma

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice