1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: re: an external usb hd slowing xp pro down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reble, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reble

reble Thread Starter

I have a dell latiude C640 laptop

specks
    cpu 2 gig
    total physical memory 768 mb
    C hard drive 250 gb, 6.50 gb used, 226 gb avable
    ide laptop type hard drive, 150 gb, 4.71 gb used, 123 gb free in an external usb case
    os XP PRO

I am using the ide hd in the usb external case as a install file storage. At first when I started using the exture hd in the usb case everything worked fine.
    In the past few months the hd in the usb case crashed and had a corrupted boot sector. I managed to recover about 50% of the files on the hd then wiped the partition and made a new partition and reformated the hard drive. A few weeks later the C drive crashed and i had to reinstal all prog's from scrach. With the external drive connected to the laptop via the hub (this laptop has only 1 internal usb port) the external hd is dragging the XP speed down to the point that prog's are stalling out, internet downloads take for ever and a wed on a broadband internet connection. I have tryed bypassing the hub with the external hd plugged directly into the usb port. No change. With both of my usb flash drives and the usb wi-fi stick pluged but the external hd unpluged XP is back up to normal speed and everything works fine agen. Can someone please tell me what is going on? By the way the 150gb hd used to be the C hd drive untill I got the 250 gb hd.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run chkdsk /r on the drive and check it with HDTune. It may have abd clusters. If the file system is not intact, explorer can use a lot of CPU trying to sort it.

If you have XP and avi's on that drive, it can slow things quite a bit, too, especially if some of them are incomplete.

3. reble

reble Thread Starter

What is abd clusters and what is avi

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

avi's are movies. After you run chkdsk /r, it will tell you how much data is in "bad clusters", areas of the disk that are physically damaged and can not hold data. Make a note of that result, if you see it.

5. reble

reble Thread Starter

After running chkdsk windows is back to normal speed and the internet connection is back to normal with the external usb ide drive connected to the hub. There was no report generated about the bad clusters or the physically damaged areas.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Very good. NTFS slows down when there are errors, even minor ones. Windows still manages to access the files, though. It just takes longer.

7. khaletech

khaletech

I would consider doing a fitness/stress test on the hard drive to test and see if it is on the verge of failing. I've had someone's PC in before because it was running slow or would not boot but then I ran a ckdisk on it and it solved the problem. However, a few 'SMART' failures later (i'm guessing) it happened again. Resolved the issue the same way. Happened again and so I ended up building a new PC with all new hardware and HDD. After running Hitachi Drive Fitness Test it showed a failure on the HDD. If you continue to use the drive without at least testing it you run the risk of losing all of the information you have on it. It could still fail even if it passes the fitness test but it would at least weed out I'd say 75% that it would fail.

Just a thought. Congrats on getting the issue solved though!

~KHaleTech

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice