1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Re-install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dbailey18, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

I am in the process of re-installing my operating system and am at a stand still have a ( General failure reading drive a ) at the end of my installation ? System is at a stand still.

2. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

System just came back with :
    not ready reading drive A
    Invalid COMMAND.COM
    Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (eg,C:\COMMAND.COM)
    >>
    Could some one please describe what my next move should be ?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    1. What are you using to reinstall the operating system?

Recovery/restore CD?

Startup floppy disk and Windows CD?

2. What version of Windows are you trying to reinstall?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your signature shows Windows XP Pro. Is this the same computer or a different computer?

Drive A is the floppy disk drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

Flavalle;
    Was using a Recovery/restore CD but that time is gone . I know that drive A was the floppy but couldn't understand why I was getting this response. Have used the restore CD several times before with no problems but now well I guess it's my turn. The signature is for our newer system I'm working on old faithful which is an older E-Machine Pentium II processor with a 15 GB hard drive Windows 98SE operating SYS. As I stated before I started re-Installing 98SE and towards the end of the install I ended up with (General Failure reading drive A)
    not ready reading drive A
    Invalid COMMAND.COM
    Enter correct name of COMMAND INTERPRETER (eg,c:(COMMAND.COM)
    >>
    Did not know what to do next so I tried Booting with my 98SE Boot Disk with CD rom support. I still was not getting anywhere.
    I'm unable to boot with floppy boot disk now as I need to download a bootable disk because the two I made no longer want to help me out . Error's on both . I really don't know what to do now . Would appreciate some help and if you can spare it a little time. Thanks !!

5. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if I would be better off running a third party software to completely erase my hard drive and then do a re-installation of my operating sys. I have come across a utility that will completely erase my drive so I can maybe do re-install with out any problems.
    www.killdisk.com
    Maybe this is a little much ?
    Don't now much about DOS but that is where I'm at right know but I have no clue how to run commands in DOS as far as opening programs from my bootable or excuting commands in DOS.

6. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

Well I haven't gotten much done except I'm able to run the restore CD from the cd drive now and it run's through the checking for bad sectors,formatting and restore process fine until the system tries to reboot and install the operating system this is where it comes up with the error msg :
    cancel abort retry ? cannot load drive R > . Have tried this several times and always come up with same problem.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the "Windows 98 boot floppy image" link. This will start the WIN98_IMG.EXE file downloading. Save it somewhere. Insert a blank floppy disk in its drive, then double-click the file. Once the extraction process into the blank floppy disk is complete, you'll have a fully-bootable startup disk for formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of either Windows 98/98SE or Windows ME.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

flavalle.
    have already tried this disk with no luck seems like my system is not recognizing any drives but A,B,C,S,R, ????? Where some of these drives are is beyond me Have run fdisk from my restore cd from one of my CD drives today as a matter a fact the only thing that will spin on this old DOG in what I thought was DOS or at least it looked like such , deleted all partitions Primary last as usual would re-boot back to fdisk enter #4 and they or the primary would still be there,so instead of rebooting the next time I returned to the beginning of fdisk entered #4 and no existing partition's would show up!!! GO figure ! So ! Right now I'm sitting here looking at it across the room and re-booted went to BIOS set up made the hard drive the First boot device and CD-DVD secondary and hit f10 enter and the old boy is sitting here staring at me with it's one eye wide open saying to me the hard drive or something is stuck a switch or something . OH WELL Back I go !!! Will return later!

9. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

flavalle !!!
    I got a no brainer just happened to have a copy of XP Pro in the drawer and thought I would see if it would Install . Well it took right off and now I'm trying to decide whether or not to go with that or by a copy of 98se at amazon or something ,really must have a restore disk that has finally went bad or has gotten damaged through my handling .Sound's kind of foolish to put XP PRO on an old Pinetum II machine but at least it works for now.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Were you able to get Windows XP activated with Microsoft after installing it? If not, it'll quit working after a certain number of days.

Windows XP is going to run slow as molasses with an Intel Pentium II processor, especially if there's less than 256 MB of RAM in that computer. Turn off as much of the graphic "eye candy" as you can, and trim down the number of running programs to as small a number as possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

flavallee !
    Well believe it or not I'm up and running again with XP PRO ! Have trimmed as much as possible here at first, I really should make up a rescue disk as soon as possible have most of what I'm going to run on this old boy so far so good . It's not to hateful right now but I'm sure it will get better. Oh by the way! I also had one of the cd players that was shorting out so I looked around and had an extra around that I was hoping and it did work! Lucky me !!! Believe it or not but I'm also running HP"s 7410 printer software with I like some of their stuff but most of it is one big resource hog. Well I guess we'll call this one solved and I want to thank you again for your time and patience with me.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice