1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Re-installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gordy52, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

Hi all. after googling for quite a while, I'm still stuck. Here's my problem. I'm trying to re-install Windows XP using the XP disk (not recovery disk, actual windows xp cd). Now I have did it before with no problems, but when I click to delete the partition of which the "old" install of XP is on, I get this message -

"Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation"

I have no recovery CD's as it wasn't a "bought computer package" if you know what I mean, only the Windows XP CD. I did find a solution but it involved having a boot disk. I havent got a floppy disk drive by the way so I couldn't do that. All I have is the Windows XP CD

Can anyone help?

Thank You

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In the bios setup....is the cd drive the first boot device?

3. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

Yes it is. I have no problem booting from the XP disk which takes me to the setup etc

4. sockey99

sockey99

I think all you have to do is reformat the partion, not delete it. This will get rid of the old install and let the new install complete.You loose all data.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you run the setup from bootup or in windows?

6. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

How would you reformat it? I don't like changing things that I'm not entireley sure of. and yes Iv tried the setup from windows and from boot up.

Thanks so far, appreciate the time u's are taking (y)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You select the partion then it should ask you what file format you want.

Please answer my question from post #5

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

When you get to the choice to delete the partition you have, just go ahead and delete it and then you will create a new one--that will get rid of the setup files. You have to make sure you are booting from the CD though and you need to make sure that it is set up right as a master.

9. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

From boot up.

10. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

Thats the problem, it doesnt let me

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    hmmm.... well that's odd because I have never seen that. I have always been able to delete all partitions.

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Oh--I'm sorry--I just re-read and saw that you are trying to delete the partition.

Are you actually booting from the CD? In other words, is it saying: "Hit any key to boot from CD?" or something similar?

13. Mulderator

Mulderator

If you can't get it to work, you can create a Win98 startup disc and used Fdisk to do it--that will definitely do it. But you need a floppy drive.

14. gordy52

gordy52 Thread Starter

My pc boots up with the Xp CD in. and then I get the choice of either loading windows XP normally or entering the setup to install it.

Deleteing or re-formatting, all I want is to re-install windows Xp "over" the old one. I thought I would have to delete the other one

Edit: If I just leave it(aka i dont choose one of them) it automatically goes to the set-up

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Then you are NOT booting from the Windows CD--what happened is you aborted a setup at some point and now you have that on you hard drive. If you were booting from the CD, you would not get that message.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!