[SOLVED] Re-installing Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chovahani

Someone please help! I am very computer illiterate so could some one let me have step by step instructions on how to re-install Windows 98 SE? I got the NIMDA virus, am now clean with Norton Anti Virus installed, but my system is messed up and I just want to start again!!!! Also, if I do the above will I have to re-install everything else, Office 2000, Anti Virus etc, etc?

Welcome chovahani,

What you should keep in mind is that a Windows reinstall will only correct problems that are caused by damaged Windows files and in some cases registry entries associated with them. Where problems stem from other installed software, those will likely remain. I don't think Office 2000 will be affected. However, if you have updated Outlook or Internet Explorer, you may need to update again. You may have the option of not reinstalling IE, if IE has been updated I would not reinstall it from the CD.

Here is a link with some suggestions and caveats...

How to Reinstall Windows 98

chovahani

Thanks Rollin Rog,

I am not sure what to do now, whether to re-install or not! The main problem that I am having is with memory and system resources. I did read and tried to follow instructions on this subject from another member's question and am fairly sure I do not have a memory leak, the percentage does not appear to drop too far below 80% (range 86% - 80%), but I do keep getting 'Windows is low on Memory ' and 'You may be out of System resources'. I cannot save or print anything from Word (although I am given the option to Save as a Rescued Document(?)). Also I get various messages about 'Riched20.dll' unable to locate it or it may be damaged or corrupt, as you've probably guessed I have no idea what that means! The words 'hammer' and 'belting' have been springing to my mind very frequently just lately!

Hi,

I believe that NIMDA does affect Word's Rich-text editor (riched20), so you might want to run a repair on Word. Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs. Then highlight Office 2000, and click on Add/Remove. Then choose Repair when prompted.

:)

You should be able to correct the Office related errors (which are no doubt due to nimda's effect on the riched20.dll) without a reinstall of Windows. See the links below:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q308/3/60.ASP

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html

Some people have had mysterious performance issues remain, but hopefully you will not.

I don't know which way you will choose to do the repair, but if you want to try the System File Checker, here are some basic instructions:

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

chovahani

Thanks for your messages, guys!

I tried both of the suggestions, to no avail. Well it would help if I had the Office 2000 discs!!!!

I have now managed to contact yer man who built the system and he is going to let me have the discs, so I'll try to do repairs again when they arrive.

I'll let you know how I go!

Thanks a million.

Slán go fóill

chovahani

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that I received the Office 2000 discs and have managed to do a successful repair! Everything is now back to normal. I couldn't believe how easy it was!!!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Slán go fóill

(Bye for now!)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online