1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: read only attrib won't change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tamijud, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tamijud

tamijud Thread Starter

I am running the WindowsServer 2003 operating System and I am trying to rename a directory and I get an error that I don't have access to do that : "Access denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected"I am able to rename other directories in same location.When I ask for properties of the directory there is a gray check in the "read only" box. When I click it to clear the box it asks if I want to apply this to all subdirectories, so I say yes, and it appears to do something. Then I try to rename the directory again and I get the same error. When I ask for properties of the directory the gray check is back!As background, this directory was created by extracting files from a compressed file. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?thanksjudy

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

The directory may be marked as a system folder, you would need to use the cmd prompt to remove the system and read only attribute.

attrib -s-r C:\<folder path>/d/s

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Access Denied is a permissions problem, has nothing to do with the folder being read only.
    EDIT: Turns out this is incorrect, Mumbodog's solution was the answer.

Right click the folder, click Properties
    Click the Security tab
    Add your account to the List of users, or change your permissions from Read & Execute to Full Control

There are usually reasons for Users, even Admins, to not have access to some folders. If you accidentally rename a system folder, you could end yup with an unbootable system.

This article should explain the Read Only attribute for folders:
    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Jerry

4. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

take ownership of the folder

5. tamijud

tamijud Thread Starter

I tried mumbodog's suggestion and it worked like a charm! thanks for everyone's suggestions.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Glad it is resolved.

Welcome to TSG forums

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Well I was sure wrong. Could have sworn that wouldn't prevent renaming. Thanks for teaching me something new.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yeah, banged my head for 30 minutes the other day changing permissions, the "system" attribute in Vista and W7 prevents this, not sure it is this way in XP.

School of hard knocks and a little googleing did it.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Now this is odd. Just tested on XP-SP3 and Win2003 Enterprise Server, and had no trouble renaming folders.
    It let me rename Windows\Installer, Windows\assembly,and My Documents\test. I tested with all combinations of S, H, and R.

Did the same on Vista Ultimate x86 and Win 7 Ultimate x64, and other than a UAC prompt, could rename there as well. There must be something else working in conjunction with the attributes that I don't happen to have set on my systems.

All done from a Computer Administrator account, UAC on where it applies, not joined to a domain. Tried it on XP Media Center which is joined to a domain (NT 4.0, no AD) using a Domain Admin account, and could rename there as well.

At least we know it can be the cause. I just know this is going to bug me until I figure out the combination...

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Vista and W7 are weird, sometimes I get the access denied several times when moving or renaming a folder/files, after a few tries it does what I want with no errors.

Let us know if you discover anything.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice