Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Reading data DVDs

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MysticEyes 
#1 ·
I created a data DVD using a DVD-rw on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop using Sonic software. I copied a ton of digital pics onto the DVD for backup. Now I can't read the DVD. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hello tonques, and welcome to TSG.

I am not familiar with Sonic software. Does it have any kind of option to verify the disc contents immediately after burning? If so, did you use that option?

Does the burned side of the disc show that something has been burned to the disc? There usually are two rings of slightly different colors that show burned and unburned areas.

Can you still read other discs you may have burned prior to this problem? Can you read or play commercially pressed DVDs?

Were you using UDF packet writing to create the disc. UDF packet writing allows you to freely add files to the disc as if it was a floppy instead of creating the disc by burning all the files in a single operation. UDF packet writing can sometimes prove to be very unreliable, causing burned files to suddenly disappear from the disc as far as the operating system is concerned. In some cases, all or some of the files can be recovered.

#4 ·
A lot of people here have had good luck with a $30 program called ISO Buster. If I recall correctly, you can download and run a demo version that will scan your corrupted disc and report back what files it can find and recover. You can then buy the activation for it and recover the files. There may be other free or try and buy programs that may also do the job.

#6 ·
Ouch

You can leave this topic open for a few days and see if anyone else has any other recovery ideas. Otherwise, you can mark it solved (button above your first post) if you don't want to bother with any other attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.