1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reair USB instead of Repair disc for W7Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WaWake, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaWake

WaWake Thread Starter

Dear friends,

My disc-drive seems to be giving problems. I would like to repair my system (when needed) using an USB-stick instead of a disc. I found ways to do that on Google, but it seems rather complicated to make the USB bootable first, extracting the ISO, then putting it on the USB and assigning a disc number to it.

► Are there no simpler ways to make the repair-USB direct - as it was to make a repair disc?

Thanks beforehand,

WaWake

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is it Windows 7 64 bit on a GPT partitioned drive with UEFI firmware
    OR 32 or 64 on the -what may be called the usual BIOS

The reason I ask is that the procedure is very different
    FOR the traditional - as it may be called BIOS system - as below

Also are you referring to a reinstallation windows 7 and therefore the ability to use that for the repair your computer - OR the reinstall of the OS if necessary

OR are you intending only to make the repair disc

The repair disc is in Windows 7 Control Panel Backup and Restore - create system repair disc on the left pane
    As you do not have a CD drive you will have to use this method on the link below
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/installing-windows-7-system-recovery-into-usb-flash-drive/2/

which also of course will allow the RESTORE from system Image as explained on the repair disc - the image being on an external drive - hard drive AND created from the same backup and restore in Control panel - AND VITAL to have in case of disaster

If on the other hand you need to make the USB for the complete installation this is the easiest tool to use
    PROVIDING it is the MBR and traditional BIOS
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

The windows 7 ISO itself being available here
    IT IS a fully authorised download but is only for use with an existing licence.
    http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

3. WaWake

WaWake Thread Starter

Thanks Macbootmaster for responding so quickly. Good that I have insomnia because here (Brussels) it is 04:00 o'clock in the night.
    With the links it is a lot of information. I am sure there are things that I can use sometime. Therefore, I will print it all out!
    ► my system is Win7 Pro - 1
    I have been browsing all of it, but a direct method of making an USB-stick for System repair, I do not find.
    Kindest regards,
    Walter

4. Macboatmaster

You will not - as there is not one
    the method you will need is the one that does NOT require the optical drive, outlined on my link

5. WaWake

WaWake Thread Starter

Macboatmaster,
    I gave your links a second look. Now I start understanding the possibilities better. The first link seems to be the easiest one.
    I work as follows: Windows is on a 120 GB SSD (C:-drive). All the rest is on D:. For the backups I use the F:-drive. My pc has the SSD and the two others are external drives.
    BTW, I have an optical drive in my PC, but it is making troubles the last time. That is why I asked for an alternative on USB.
    Thanks a lot for your information links. I will print them out.
    Kind regards,
    Walter

6. Macboatmaster

Good luck with it
    Please mark the topic solved by clicking on the mark solved button on your post

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1106175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice