Solved: Real quick basic video/card/bios/settings question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

policetac

CHANGES SINCE POST
Answered own question. Went to change setting in BIOS, setting was already at max at 8.
However, I noticed that the setting for onboard or PCI was set to PCI. CHANGED it to onboard. (That's what I have.)
Ramped all of the settings back up, still does it. Just not as often.

System was fine then,
Went from XP, to 7, then back to XP.
Good install, but monitor would flicker. (Green on, checked cables, etc. Conclusion: "Driver Problem")
Set SOME display property's low, reinstalled drivers, same problem.
Set "Video Acceleration" to almost none, and checked "Enable Write Combining,"
Reduced resolution to 800X600, reduced from 32 bit to 16 bit.
DPI is 96, 60 Htz, High Color
Flickering of monitor has pretty much quit. Only very occasionally as I write this.
Here's the rest of the info I think is needed. (Followed by the rest of my question.)

HP514x (Intel x86)
2.0 Ghz
503 Mb "Physical Memory"
Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2
DirectX 9
Video Driver: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Version: 6.14.10.434
Memory Size: 64 Mg Internal

Ok, as I was restarting one of the times. I went into the BIOS to see what I could see.
The one thing that caught my eye was a video setting that allowed for me to increase or decrease Megabytes. It's currently at 8.
Does the "64" MGb "Memory Size" above mean I can set this up to 64? What is this for? I thought it was so you could use more RAM if you were to upgrade your video card.
Could someone please just give me a crash course in graphics cards and their settings?
Thank you.
Sincerely,
policetac

crjdriver

OK, installing an os should not change the bios setting for onboard video. When you install an os, you install in the following order;
1 Install the os
2 Update to latest service pack. For xp this is sp3
3 Install your chipset/mb drivers
4 Install sound, nic, lan drivers as necessary
5 Install the video driver
6 If all is well, activate windows then make a backup image of your system. Store this on an external drive, NAS, network share, etc.
7 Do all critical windows updates. Repeat until there are no updates to install.

Did you install like this?

policetac

yes I did. Except I only went to SP2 (But that's what I had to begin with anyway) I'll go check for SP3
I may have however initially installed the wrong driver. It was an extreme graphics one that said it was for my system. But then I found another one that seemed more likely.
I really don't know what I've done?

policetac

SP3 would not load because it said that the startup file (kernal) wasn't microsoft

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Here is the support site for that 8-1/2 year old HP Pavilion 514x desktop - which you should add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it if needed.

According to its hardware specifications section, the on-board Intel 82845GL graphics controller has 64 MB of its RAM dedicated to its use.

If it has only 512 MB of RAM, you should consider increasing it to 1024 MB(1 GB) or to its fully-supported amount of 2048 MB(2 GB).

Forget about upgrading again to Windows 7 because that graphics controller isn't supported by it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

policetac

ok, thanks.I'll check that out. As of right now I have my acceleration turned all the way off. I still have the problem but only every 30 seconds or so. Hopefully that will be enough for me to keep trying to figure this out.
I'll keep the post posted.
Thanks again,
policetac

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
SP3 would not load because it said that the startup file (kernal) wasn't microsoft
Where are you getting the SP3 upgrade from?

Download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade, then burn it off to a CD-R so you'll have it in the future if you need to reinstall it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

----------------------------------------------------------------

Something you might to want to consider is upgrading from the Intel integrated graphics to a PCI video card with 128 MB of video memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600007853&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI

If you decide to do that, don't forget to reset the video adapter in the BIOS to "PCI".

----------------------------------------------------------------

policetac

Ok, I'll try that next. According to Intel's Driver Update Utility, I have the correct driver installed.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Ok, I'll try that next. According to Intel's Driver Update Utility, I have the correct driver installed.
Yep. Version 6.14.10.4342 is the most current version for the Intel 82845G graphics controller. I've got it in 2 of my old desktops.

--------------------------------------------------------------

policetac

Ok, here we are so far.. Problem is still there, but I have been able to bring the acceleration all the way back up without making it any worse.)
Rechecked all cables, plugs, etc.
Installed "Chipset support" for OS, along with SP26455 driver update, plus another one I can't seem to remember. Either way, everything related to the video display, controller, etc. says it is up to date, configured correctly, and working right. I even have DirectX telling me that 3D acceleration is now working.
Something changed my DPI setting it's now at 96.
Resolution is at 1280 by 1024 at 60 Hz w/true color at 32 bits.
(What is "Enable write Combining?" I have it UNchecked
I went to msconfig and REchecked a few of the startups that seemed to apply to the display or it's software.
I've restarted as needed, used Registry repair, clean up, defragmenter, etc.
Plus probably a few other odds and ends that have led to everything saying that there are no problems.
So now what? lol
Here's a question though. One thing I have noticed that I never noticed before and that is my display sometimes looks as if I am looking at a TV or moniter on a tv. (You know how it seems as if you can almost see the "refresh?"
Other than that, it's all still the same.
Any other ideas?
I suppose trying a different monitor would be the next real step other than to try a new video card right?
Anyway.
Thanks again.
Sincerely,
policetac

policetac

REFRESH RATE!!! REFRESH RATE!!! REFRESH RATE!!! REFRESH RATE!!! REFRESH RATE!!! REFRESH RATE!!!
Shall I say it again???
REFRESH RATE!!!

policetac

I actually thought that was it right from the start, but none of the control settings or the combinations I tried before allowed me to adjust it. It wouldn't show any other compatible rates either so I kept leaving it alone, while trying all the other things. So, I googled "different reasons a monitor might flicker."
The first answer that came up was "Refresh rate." So, I went back into the new driver program, looked at a way I thought it might work, tried it and it seems to be working now. The only problem though is that I lost a lot of my resolution. I'm now at 800 x 600 at 65 Hz
Other than that, I think I got it.
I really would like to thank you for your help though. Just having someone to help me put some of these things to work really helped and I appreciate it very much. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a new video card tomorrow anyway though seeing as a few people I know saw my pain and decided they might just have one I could get cheap if I could wait. :)
Anyway, thanks again.
Very Sincerely,
policetac

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online