1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: realplayer garbled

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rayacky, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Hello all, when i recieve a realplayer video in an e-mail it is all garbled, still there but mostly impossible to see, we have XPsp2 & outlook express 6. I am sure that if i get a video off the web it is ok, hope someone can help. Cheers Ray.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What version of RealPlayer are you using?

3. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Hi, we have the new realplayer sp & i can confirm that some old stuff that is stored in outlook still plays perfectly.

4. Cheeseball81

It's been a real long time since I've used RealPlayer, but I do recall most times when video is garbled, it's due to the computer's video card. Are you experiencing any snow/static? Colors such as magenta or green? Stripes?

5. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    I get a lot of colours all mixed but mostly bluish with some redish outlining

6. Cheeseball81

Here are a few suggestions I've read you can try.

Solution 1: Set your video display to 16-bit colour.

RealPlayer requires 16-bit (65,000-colour) colour depth. If the video card is not capable of this, you will receive an error message when you start RealPlayer that requests that you increase the video resolution.

To check your colour settings:

1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Windows XP: Start > Control Panel).
    2. Double-click the Display icon.
    3. Click the Settings tab.
    4. Select 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit from the colours list.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Restart your computer if prompted.

Solution 2: Update your video card drivers.

Video cards use driver software to send information from the computer to the video card. Drivers that are out-of-date, damaged, or not DirectX-compatible can cause video problems. Update your video card drivers, and visit the video card manufacturer's Web site to verify that you are using the latest DirectX-certified drivers.

Solution 3: Install the latest version of DirectX.

DirectX is another set of drivers that to send information from the computer to your video card. RealPlayer uses the DirectDraw features of DirectX to optimize the video presentation. DirectX is a component of the Windows Operating System. If the DirectX components are out-of-date or damaged, RealPlayer may crash or display the video incorrectly. Install the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

Solution 4: Lower the hardware acceleration.

Choose the appropriate procedure for your operating system:

Windows XP:
    1. Right-click a blank area on the computer desktop.
    2. Select Properties, then the Settings tab.
    3. Click the Advanced button, then the Troubleshoot tab.
    4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None or one notch away.
    5. Click OK twice.
    6. Restart your computer.

Windows 98SE, ME, 2000:
    1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the System icon.
    3. On the Performance tab, click the Graphics button.
    4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the Basic or None level.
    5. Click OK.

If the problem no longer occurs after changing this setting, leave your system on this setting. If it does not resolve the problem, set it back to where it was. The Basic or None setting is more compatible than Full in most cases, but setting it at Basic or None disables some advanced features of the video card.

Solution 5: Disable optimized video.

If you have tried the solutions above and are still having problems playing video, they may be caused by a video card that uses WinDraw drivers instead of DirectDraw drivers. Disabling optimized video in RealPlayer will improve compatibility for video cards that are not DirectDraw compatible.

To disable optimized video in RealPlayer:

1. On the Tools menu, click Preferences. The Preferences box opens.
    2. In the Category pane, click Hardware.
    3. In the Video Card Compatibility section, drag the slider to Most reliable.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Close RealPlayer and restart the computer.

7. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Well i tried some of the fixes & seems the one that worked was the hardware accellerator thingy i have backed it way down & will toy with it a bit from there, once again thankyou Cheeseball81. Cheers & beers Ray

8. Cheeseball81

You're welcome! :)

9. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Hello again, just an update on how this progressed, it is a bit more complicated but we will deal with it, when i made the adjustment to get the video bit going right, it sent the computer game that my wife likes to play, into a spin, so it may require some hardware upgrade? At the moment we will adjust the acceleration as required. Cheers Ray

10. Cheeseball81

How old is the computer? It may require an updated video card.

11. rayacky

rayacky Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Hello again computer is guite old & will look to upgrade either video card or maybe even get a new & better system altogether, just thought i would report that & once again thankyou & cheers Ray.

12. Cheeseball81

How old is the computer? Yeah it may not be worth it to invest in upgrades for it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice