1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Realtek Ethernet Controller wasn't found after format

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deafdigit, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deafdigit

deafdigit Thread Starter

Hi forum,

Firstly, I'm not entirely sure this is the right category to post in. Feel free to move.

I am also aware that this is not a completely uncommon problem. I've followed all guides I could find. More on that later.

So my computer was running Windows 32bit and yesterday I decided that since the hardware supports 64bit OS, I should really switch to that (I shouldn't have...).

I found the disk from the retailor from back when I bought the computer (it's like 6 months old) and started the formatting process. Everything worked fine except I noticed the monitor is scaled completely out of proportion (using 800 x 600 resolution for some reason). Also there is no internet connection.

So I open up the device manager and notice that apparently 4 drivers have not been installed properly. This is my conclusion because under "Other devices" are listed "Ethernet controller". "PCI Simple Communications Controller", "SM Bus Controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller". All listed with the little yellow !-warning next to them.

So I figure I should get the drivers for the motherboard (GigaByte GA-B75M-D3H) and I find this site:
    http://www.gigabyte.dk/products/page/mb/ga-b75m-d3hrev_10/download/
    I download all the drivers and I install them. Most of them work just fine except the ethernet controller one. It gives me this error message: "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled please plug the cable".

I start googling and I find that this is not an uncommon problem. Most solutions include the following:
    - Reboot
    - Check the BIOS that the network-thing isn't disabled
    - Get the driver directly from RealTek
    - Power off the computer for at least 10 minutes (often this solution requires dancing apparently)
    - Open the tower and eject the RAM-blocks for at least 10 minutes

I've done all of them (except the dancing part, I admit) and nothing seems to work. Then I decided that maybe the computer just isn't ready for 64Bit so I format back into 32Bit - same problem - same solutions that don't work.

One guide tells me to take the OS out of the picture so I tried an Ubuntu 12.04 LiveCD I had lying around - suddently there's internet! No missing drivers, no errors (except for one that I didn't understand - but internet works). I then install Ubuntu and update into 12.10 - still internet connection! I then decide that the problem must have solved itself and I format back into Windows 64 bits... No internet connection! Exactly the same error message.

I know this was a long one. Please help me. I've spent all weekend on this and I'm about to jump off a cliff.

Computer specs:
    http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?action=vis&menu=&varenr=99120&type=pcsystem

Kind regards,
    deafdigit

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have moved to networking

is this windows 7 64bit - you are installing ?

So all you have now is the one ? in device manager
    the Ethernet controller - correct

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I assume you installed Windows 7? Installing the "Intel INF installation" driver should have fixed the "PCI Simple Communications Controller", "SM Bus Controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" errors. This driver should be installed before the LAN and graphics drivers.

Did you try to install this driver: "Realtek LAN Driver OS:Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit"? This is the one for Windows 7, while the others listed are for Windows XP and 8.

4. deafdigit

deafdigit Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and the move.

Just to be on the same page I formatted again (same error ofc).

I'm trying to install Windows 7 64Bit.

I've have downloaded and installed ONLY the two drivers mentioned by Frank4d beneath:
    - Intel INF installation
    - Realtek LAN Driver OS:Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit

First driver installed without any problems.
    The second driver finds a new driver version (7.049.0927.2011 ofcourse)... 'installing driver'... 'Finding Realtek network card and cable' - and then the old error: "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is neabled Please Plug the Cable."

@etaf:
    With the two above mentioned drivers installed I have 3 ? in device manager:
    - Ethernet Controller
    - PCI Simple Communications Controller
    - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Ethernet Controller:
    PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1083&SUBSYS_E001458&REV_C0

PCI Simple Communications Controller:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_1C3A1458&REV_04

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_04

I hope you can give me some good news with the above information.

@Frank4d:
    As mentioned above I installed the INFinstallation driver first, but it didn't fix the errors. Only the SM Bus Controller error.

Reading around the web it seems Realtek has some trouble getting out of "Deep Sleep" which I'm not sure what is, but I can't think it would apply to an entirely new install

Hoping for more good news and thanks for the answers so far.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The Ethernet controller is showing as
    Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

Drivers for the other windows operating system
    http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
    You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
    Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
    This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

6. deafdigit

deafdigit Thread Starter

Alright something new - that's good for morale.

The device didn't exist on the link you gave me, presumably because they were for wireless connectors and I'm trying to install a wired one, so I found it at

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-network-drivers.php

and otherwise just followed your advice.

I now have a .zip-file containing the following 6 files (2 .cat, 2.inf and 2.sys). The file names end respectably with x64 and x86 so I'm guessing I need the three ones ending with x64.

I've never installed these kind of files before. How do I do that?

Thanks for all the help!

--- EDIT ---
    I figured it out. For future reference:
    - Device Manager
    - Right-click the controller
    - Update Driver Software...
    - Search for the file on the computer and choose the folder where the files reside

I now have internet!

So final solution (as far as I understand):
    - Go to device manager
    - Right click the offending controller
    - Find the hardware id according to the post above
    - Find the driver on the manufacturor's homepage

Thank you for your help! Have a nice day.
    --- EDIT ---

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    excellent - so device manager is clear of yellow? now

8. deafdigit

deafdigit Thread Starter

No the USB-controller was still yellow but I solved that with a driver in the exact same manner as the Ethernet Controller.

Thanks again.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice