1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recent Win7 update causing boot-up and sleep problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syc0path, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

A few days ago, my computer stopped booting up. The splash screen for the mobo showed up, and then I would get a black screen w/ a white flashing cursor and nothing else. I put in my Win7 install disc to try to do a repair, and eventually figured out that if I change my boot sequence in the BIOS so that it goes to the DVD drive 1st and the boot hard drive last, it boots up just fine.

I reset to the last recovery point, changed the BIOS back so it would boot from the hard drive 1st, and everything thing worked fine... until it installed the latest Win7 updates. After that, I had the exact same problems. So I changed the BIOS again as a temporary solution, and then I noticed that the computer wasn't sleeping properly. It used to turn off the display, the hard drives, the case fans, etc. Now, it turns off everything EXCEPT the case fans... which pretty much defeats the purpose of putting it in sleep mode.

There are 15 updates that were installed. Is there any way to figure out which 1 is the problem, other than installing them 1-by-1?

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi,if you copy the KB****** numbers into google it will tell you what they are

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

In the update history, RIGHT clicking an update, then left clicking "view details" will provide info re the update.

RF123

5. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Here is a copy and paste of the details for the updates, and the output from sysinfo.exe:

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2769369)

Installation date: ?1/?18/?2013 8:57 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to compromise your system
    and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
    install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=27384
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2756921)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=265137
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2756921)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=265137
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2565063)

Installation date: ?1/?18/?2013 8:54 PM

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221007
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2013 (KB890830)

Installation date: ?1/?18/?2013 8:54 PM

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39987
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2757638)

Installation date: ?1/?18/?2013 8:53 PM

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=264923
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2785220)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain access to information. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=273872
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786400)

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2786400
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2773072)

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2773072
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2742599)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=261909
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2726535)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2726535
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition

Installation date: ?1/?18/?2013 8:52 PM

This update provides the latest junk email and malicious links filter definitions for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982726
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/?LN=en-us

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2778930)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=273826
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786081)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2786081
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2736422)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to cause the affected application to stop responding. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=262698
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 73783 MB; D: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 1275405 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, P43 Neo-F (MS-7519)
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

6. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

It is your computer. There are other reasons for using sleep mode.

I am concerned about ? marks in the dates of the updates. Is that the appearance in the update history?

Please provide a screen shot.

I've attached an example of that to which I refer.

Were it my computer which it is not, I would create a system restore point, backup my important data; uninstall the updates, one at a time, test; create a system restore point before uninstalling each update, until the cause of the problem has been resolved or until the culprit has been discovered.
    Be sure to set your system restore HDD %age up another 10%.

RF123

Attached Files:

8. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Up until recently, the computer would totally shut down when it went into sleep mode -- except that the lights on the keyboard (num lock, scroll lock, caps lock) would stay on. If I wiggled the mouse, it would be up and running in about 5 seconds, w/ all the same files and programs open. Isn't that how sleep mode is supposed to work? Becuz I liked it, and it's not doing that anymore:(

Anyway, the ? marks in the dates must just be an artifact of the copy and paste process. They do not show up in the window that displays the updates.

As far as uninstalling the updates, I tried a variation of that last night. I tried to use a restore point from a couple weeks ago, but AVG wouldn't let me. Finally I disabled AVG and tried it again and it worked... except that sleep mode was still leaving the fans on!

So at this point, I really don't know what's going on. I should have looked at the updates again to see if the 15 in question were gone after going back to the restore point, but I didn't think of it at the time. Another thing I thought of is that I haven't had this version of AVG on this computer for very long... I think I may have installed it around the same time that I started having these problems. So maybe I'll try uninstalling that.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Keep us posted.

RF123

10. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Ugh... I uninstalled AVG, all the Windows updates, and even the update service for Turbo Tax (the only other program I've installed in the last couple weeks) and sleep mode is still not functioning like it used to. And I still can't boot from the C: drive unless it checks the DVD drive 1st :-(

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

For clarity, no disrespect intended, that is normal sleep mode. FYI, the computer does not
    when it is in sleep mode.

Go into your computer's BIOS & change the boot order so that the HDD is the 1st item.

Check your BIOS for a setting related to fans.

You might need to reset your BIOS completely [ steps depend upon your computer ] or load the defaults [ or similar terminology ]. That would NOT be a W7 issue, so we can't blame Microsoft is that turns out to be your problem. :)

RF123

12. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

After your last post, I realized these really are BIOS issues and not OS issues. We had some pretty nasty windstorms a couple weeks ago, and our power flickered several times. Is it possible that voltage variations screwed up the BIOS settings?

Anyway, I dug around in the BIOS menus and found the power management settings. I took a little trial and error, but I was able to reset them to what I had before. Now sleep mode works the way it used to!

But the boot sequence is still not working correctly. Yes I can change the boot sequence in the BIOS, but if I do, the computer hangs after the mobo splash screen and never loads Windows. The only sequence that works is DVD drive, 3TB data drive, and then the SSD boot drive. But the SSD drive used to be 1st and that worked fine! So I don't know what has changed... I haven't flashed the BIOS or anything. Maybe the voltage fluctuations during the wind storm might explain it. In any event, I never keep discs in the DVD drive, so it only takes a few extra seconds to skip thru to the SSD drive.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

YUP!

Progress is pleasing.

My guess and this is ONLY a guess is that the electrical storm you referenced fried your motherboad.
    If you can live with the problem, do so. If you can't live with the problem, consider flashing your BIOS.

MY philosophy regarding BIOS flashing: avoid it until the flash addresses a specific issue or the BIOS flash has been authorized, not recommended authorized by the manufacturer's tech support department. On rare occasions, a BIOS flash will render a computer useless!

RF123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!