1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recommend a Firewall?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gurutech, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'm on the market for a highly configurable, but inexpensive (under $100, if possible), router/firewall for home use.

Requirements:
    • Reserved DHCP IP Addresses
    • Configurable Rules to block internet during certain times, but only for certain IP addresses or services
    • Port Forwarding
    • Uses itself (192.168.x.1) as primary DNS, followed by ISP's DNS (Not one or the other)
    • Compatible with DynDNS/No-IP type sites
    • Security Log
    • Configurable services/ports
    • Site blocking
    • One WAN, 4 LAN ports; 10/100 required, 1000 nice to have

Nice to have:
    • Full VPN Capabilities (from PC to device)

Currently running a Netgear FVS114, but the connection keeps dropping, and I have to manually cycle the power on it about once every couple days. Haven't seen a firmware update on it in a while (I'm running the most recent), and Netgear doesn't sell it any longer. I know SonicWall firewalls are good, but can't justify the minimum $300 cost for home use.

Thanks!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The Netgear FVS114 was a miserable router. It works occassionally but over time experiences performance and reliability issues especially when loaded down. It's good that Netgear canned this product. I pulled one out from a former company I worked for. While I was beta testing the new Cisco PIX515E in the environment, the other employees got wind of it and were beating down my door to gain access because of how terrible the FVS114 was.

You'll find the FVS318 a much better router and will meet all the needs you've outlined. The FVS318 has been around a very long time and has gone through various version upgrades.

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

What about the FVS318G? Seems to be the same thing, with the addition of Gigabit Ethernet.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You could use the FVS318G.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice